Do you have a remedy for a dry, scratchy throat, and a dry cough?

I lost my voice on Sunday, and I'm just now starting to get it back. But now my throat is so dry, that every time I breathe in I feel like I have to cough. I had a horrible coughing fit in the middle of the night last night, and I'm so tired of it!

I have hydromet, which is a prescription cough syrup. It helped a little, but not a whole lot. I have also tried OTC cough medicine, chloraseptic, honey-lemon cough drops, garlic lemon tea, and ginger, lemon, honey tea.

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 11:15 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Health

• Honestly a hot toddy should help. Hot water, wiskey, lemon and honey. Really does help
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:19 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I actually do have a couple suggestions. I had that over the winter and was Googling it... believe it or not someone said to try a cold Coke. It worked so well, I took one to bed with me for about two months straight! If you feel that cough urge kicking in, take a swig, it works. That's a dry cough.

When I get Bronchitis, the only thing that will help my cough is Tessalon Pearles.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:19 AM on May. 4, 2011

• stir in 1 teaspoon of salt in lukewarm water. gargle with it. do this twice a day. and keep taking your medication
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 11:21 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It sounds like to me your doing everything that I would recommend. Patience is hard when you dont feel good I know so I wont even mention it. You may want to put a kettle of water on the stove to boil and put some moisture in the house that may help as well. Feel better soon.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 11:21 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Tessalon Pearles are the BOMB, they do seem to work better than any narcotic cough suppressant
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:22 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Hot water, wiskey, lemon and honey
    LOL Yes, it will sooth your throat a little but best of all it will knock you out.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:08 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't drink, so alcoholic remedies are out. And I also can't be knocked out during the day, I have a three year old to take care of. :)
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I've never heard of Tessalon Pearles before, what are those? I just might try that Coke remedy.

Thanks!!!
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My favorite is green tea with honey and a whole lemon squeezed into it. Or just eat raw honey it coats the throat and works as an antiseptic.
    ekerazy78

Answer by ekerazy78 at 1:43 PM on May. 4, 2011