My 7 year old thinks she is fat....

Last night my 7 year old told me she thinks she needs to go on a diet..my daughter is a stringbean! I tried explaining to her that she doesn't have to go on a diet, but she insists on dieting. Of course we try to eat healthy at our house, but we are not health nuts. Why does today's world have to be like this and how can I try to make her see that she doesn't have to be stick skinny to be beautiful!?!?! HELP!!

Michelleb05

Asked by Michelleb05 at 11:18 AM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't know what to tell you but I can say that I remember being the same way at that age. For ME it was because my mother was over weight and unhappy with herself so I heard it from her all the time. Maybe she is hearing someone she looks up to say they need to go on a diet. I agree that there needs to be something done about the unrealistic standards set for young ladies. I personaly only buy from companies that promote healthy looking women.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:22 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Ask her what she likes about herself and try to get her to see the positive out of everything. And ask her where she heard that because she isn't fat.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 11:23 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Show her women that are different body types that are happy and beautiful. Emme, Liv Tyler are examples. Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes and that is ok.

I would also ask her where she got the idea that she was "fat". Maybe someone said something to her at school or a family member made an innocent comment. IF it still bothers her, take her to a counselor or her doctor and have them talk to her before she develops an eating disorder.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Does Dove still do that beauty campaign? Maybe you should check that out and see if they have any seminars. I hear they help young girls see the beauty within themselves instead of the media.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:52 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Teach her about nutrition, and how the body needs all sorts of things to grow and function, and the science behind why dieting is bad for people.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your input. I talked to my husband about it at lunch time. I just wish the portrayal of women wasn't that you have to be skinny to be pretty!
    Michelleb05

Comment by Michelleb05 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My 9 yo was saying the same thing. We went to the dr for her yearly checkup and looked at where she falls on the height/weight charts - 75% for height and 50% for weight. I had the dr talk to her about maintaining a healthy weight and making sure she doesn't fall underweight, that she needs to be at a weight that is proportionate to her height. Our ped did a really good job with it!

Answer by missanc at 5:53 PM on May. 4, 2011