Cause of missed period, other than pregnancy? TMI adult content

Ive missed my period for 3 months, but woke up this morning to incredible pain and cramps, it turns out I got my period. But I;m wondering why I would miss it for 3 months? Ive missed my period before, for a week or so.. But never 3 whole months! I'm wondering if stress will delay a period for that long? And the strangest thing of all, I usually get my period on the 15th of each month. Well on the months I missed, from the 15-20th I would have terrible cramps, boobs would swell, but no blood. And right now the bleeding is the heaviest it's ever been.. Maybe my body was holding the blood or something? I'm so confused... If you have any similar experiences, please feel free to share. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Health

• There are lots of reasons. Sometimes stress does it. Also as we get older our bodies change, so could be hormonal.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:24 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Anovulatory months will cause this. Your body doesn't release an ovum (egg) so the hormone that triggers a period will not be released. So, once your uterus gets full, it will shed but will not be a true period. Once that happens, your cycle can get back to normal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:25 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Stress, illness, your body's changing it's natural rhythm.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Have you lost weight? It could be a number of things, including pre-menepause,,I would call my doctor and schedule a work up!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes stress can do this. I know lots of women that have had similar issues and i have as well. It could be stress or maybe a dramatic change in your diet or exercise routine. those will definately do it as well.
    mrs.miner

Answer by mrs.miner at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Pre menopause, even If I'm only 20? yikes, I hope not :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Could be hormones. Are you on the pill or some other form of bc? The biggest reason is pregnancy. You did a test right? Hormones is the next. Almost anything can mess your hormones up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:07 PM on May. 4, 2011