What does the Salvation Army do with the money they make from selling donated clothes etc.?

I looked on their website but it doesn't say.

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 11:31 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• They probably use it to buy more unwanted or used items to sell for cheap. I don't htink the Salvation Army is as stingy as the Red Cross. THEY use the money to make commercials. Hardly any of it goes towards disaster relief.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It goes to the local Salvation Army. They then use it to provide food, clothing, and shelter to the homeless. The money is also used to provide after school and summer activities to the local youth.

Some of the money does go to the abroad Salvation Army Corps as well.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:33 AM on May. 4, 2011

• They use it for their other programs. FREE programs for those in need. Medical clinics, school supplies, after school programs, food pantries, transitional living programs. I am sure some of it goes towards staff salary and operating expenses too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on May. 4, 2011

• It's used for all the free programs and help they offer to people in need or to those people who have learned to scam organizations.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:37 AM on May. 4, 2011

• In my community they have a sheltered workshop for those with special needs, they also run homeless shelters, soup kitchens, after school programs, drug rehabilition programs (they employ those who have been in jail for drugs, etc, doing drug checks to make sure they stay clean while giving them a way to make money) they have many charities and programs...
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 11:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• They use it in the community, paying the employees that work there that are handicapped, run shelters, help homeless families, so many different programs in different areas.
    2and2onway

Answer by 2and2onway at 11:43 AM on May. 4, 2011

• There was a time that I had a very high heating bill and my husband had just had a stroke and was in the hospital and I went to the Salvation Army and they paid my bill. I was so thankful for it, if they had not done it my step son and I would have been sitting in the dark and cold! I have tried to make a point to help out here and there with donations when I can to try to repay so they can help others.
    younginx2

Answer by younginx2 at 12:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Not sure about your area, but I am very disappointed with our area. I donate ALOT to them and i also have a friend that does the same. The sad part is, that this friend of mine (the same one who donates alot) had her house burned to the ground. They lost everything (right before christmas) and they went to the salvation army to see it they could get some clothing for the kids and do you beilieve they turned them away!!! Really!!!! I haven't donated anything since. I now donate to the local church down the road.
    RMott

Answer by RMott at 12:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I know somebody who worked for a Salvation Army children's shelter. They got in kids who had been burned with cigarettes, really awful situations that regular foster parents wouldn't have been ready to deal with, at least not at 2 am. Heavy duty social work orphanage stuff.  Ugly stuff! 

Anonymous