Keeping yard clean with two big dogs??

I have a 70lb pitbull, and an 80lb colorado bulldog (who is still a pup), our yard is fenced in but not all that large, How do you dispose of dog poo properly? and How do you keep your lawn looking somewhat ok with all the pee and running around and kicking there feet after they pee!???

lnanln2006

Asked by lnanln2006 at 11:37 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Pets

• With the poo, you can put a garbage bin in your back yard that has a tight lid and line it with a garbage bag. Clean the poo up once a day and then on garbage day take the bag out, tie it, and put it on the curb with the rest of the trash.
    With the pee, I have seen yard products that promote getting rid of the yellow dead grass but I can't say if they work or not since I have never used them but they are out there.
    And no tips for the feet kicking since that is something males tend to do whether they are neutered or not. I have a 35 pound dog and he doesn't cause damage when he does it but I can see the larger dogs doing it. I guess when the lawn gets mowed fertilizing with pet friendly fertilizer mixed with grass seed can help promote healthy grass and consistant yard watering in the mornings or evenings.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:42 AM on May. 4, 2011

• My dogs don't own my yard. They are in a large dog run when outside, unless I cut them loose to play. We throw our poo in the garbage can for waste management to pick up. I can't have my kids stepping in that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:38 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I rake out the pen my dogs are in once a week and hose off the grass, yeah the male marks again but it dosen't stink as bad with some of the pee washed off....they are free to run on several acres of fenced in land but the pen is about 1/4 of an acre fenced in my back yard, i keep them there at night of if we're gone so it fills up with poop fast GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:40 AM on May. 4, 2011

• We have a poo poo trash can with its own seperate garbage bag,,is your yard fairly small? I have never had problems with the urine causing any damage, perhaps as music suggested you might need a dog run?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:40 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I walk my dog and pick up the poo and throw it away. He is never loose. I wish I had a fenced in yard, but maybe not anymore after hearing about yours! LOL! I can't think of a solution, sorry!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:42 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Sounds like you need a dog run. A place designated for your dogs so they can poop and pee and the rest of the yard is nice and neat. If your yard isn't big enough, perhaps consider removing some unwanted shrubs. Do a little landscaping and then install the dog run. And like kimi said, get a trash can specifically for dog poo and try to pick it up daily or everytime they poop. If that means you have to be out there waiting for them to finish than you have to be out there waiting for them to finish. lol
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:43 AM on May. 4, 2011

• We bought a house with a larger yard. We have several acres now and I have trained my dogs to go in one area, which has been helpful for clean up. Sorry..no good answer here.

I do have a separate waste can just for dog waste that goes to the curb every week with the other cans.

As for the tearing up of the lawn, two big dogs can do a lot of damage. You might need to throw seed down every fall. If you have winter snow, right before first snow is an excellent time to seed the lawn. So just patch up the yard every year. I would also recommend rotating the area of the lawn they play and pee in, but if the yard is not that big, it might not be a possibility.

The only other option I see, if it is kicking of the lawn only after peeing, just walk them and potty them on a leash so you can prevent the kicking around after the pee activity.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:43 AM on May. 4, 2011

• if i had the money to buy a outdoor dog kennel(dog run) i would of done that already....i was thinking about composting it in a corner of a yard
    lnanln2006

Comment by lnanln2006 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Look on Craigs List. There's always someone trying to get rid of something for free. You might get lucky and find someone who just got rid of their dog.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:46 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I'll do it for you! I love shopping for people. Where do you live?
    Imogine