I know I am going to sound like a complete idiot here but looking for college information.

I graduated from high school a long while ago and all the resources I used came from my counselors back then. I got into college but I ended up not going for personal reasons. I am hoping someone can help tell me, can you go to college online now? If so, can you give me some information about a good site to look into? I have heard people talking about online classes but I know nothing about it. When I got into college so long ago, that wasn't a option, the internet was just brand new. So I am looking for any information I can get but I don't know where to start. Even googling, I am not sure what is reliable and what is not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 4, 2011 in

• LOTS of online colleges and distance learning opportunities. You don't sound like an idiot at all! An idiot never wants to learn!

Start with your local community college. It will probably be the lowest cost option for you.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:44 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Contact a state college or technical/community college about classes. Stay away from for profit college like University of Phoenix. Make sure the college is accredited. The technical college in my area has almost every one of their classes on line. State universities also offer online programs. You can look them up online also. For example, the college I go to Gateway Technical College, has a website www.gtc.edu.

You can also call the college and talk to a counselor or ask them to send you information. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 AM on May. 4, 2011

• First, you need to decide if you want to do online or classroom. Online takes a lot of self motivation and time. For some online schools there are books, and it was my experience that the classes were all broad spectrum, despite the major. I learned more in a classroom, with lectures and textbooks. Do you know what you want to major in? And where you want to work? Start looking at their websites and calling their hr to see what degrees they require and which universities they accept. Good luck out there!
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 11:46 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Try a community college or try www.colleges.com they have links to a lot of schools. And many colleges these days have the option of online classes.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:46 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools like University of Phoenix!! Try going thru a local state school, many have a ton of online courses. Call their admissions office and talk to someone... they can help you with what directions to take!! Good luck!! I went back to school at 27, and LOVED it!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Call you local community college and ask about online courses,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Well... it depends on what you want to get into, first off.
    Check your local community colleges, many offer certain classes and even degree or certificate programs online. Or you could look into a school that operates solely online. Nowasays there are a ton, but I personally don't know which are good or not.
    Which is why I would try to stay local if I could! If things get mixed up, like paperwork or financial aid or whatever you could straighten it out in person instad of playing phone tag.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:48 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I did! I went to USCareerinstitute.com and got certified in legal transcriptioning. I'm also taking an online math course right now towards a certification in legal administration. Go for it! Don't feel like an idiot either. No one is an idiot when asking questions about education. Best of luck!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:49 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, community colleges are cheaper. Most on line schools now are private for profit and charge anywhere from $18000 on up and do not have the accredidation you want and credits earned will not transfer, ie ITT Technical Institute, Strayer University, ECPI, etc. I recently found a regionally accredited on-line college called WGU out of Utah, it was founded by 9 governor's and seems to be highly ranked and recommended. www.wgu.edu Good luck! Don't forget to apply for federal pell grants, even if you're paying out of pocket, it's free money you never have to pay back!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:51 AM on May. 4, 2011

• BTW my MIL is in school. She went back in her 40s. She has a full time job, volunteers, and babysits for us on Sunday so I can work. Yes, she is a busy busy woman!
    She has a combination of online and in person classes to fit her schedule. And she got her gen ed prerequisites at one local school that was cheaper, and transfered when she needed to to another local school that offered more of the programs she needed.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:55 AM on May. 4, 2011