Bridal shower gifts vs. wedding gifts

I'm attending my friend's bridal shower AND wedding. I know wedding gifts are customary and I'm choosing from her registry for that, but am I supposed to do the same for the bridal shower? What kind of gifts are normal for bridal showers?

PS - This is an old friend from grade school. We've remained in touch but haven't been close in many years, so I don't know her well enough now to know what she'd like.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 4, 2011 in Shopping

• I think the bridal shower is more gifts for just her where are the wedding gifts are thing for both of them. that is when you give her something blue, some used, that kinda stuff along with honeymoon gifts like the husband and matching wife flip flops that leave "Bride and "Groom": in the sand when they walk. just special things for her
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:55 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Where I live, the shower is the only time physical gifts are given. For the wedding, we do only cash. I did not recieve one "gift" other than cash at my wedding of over 100 people.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:57 AM on May. 4, 2011

• Wow, I would love to have a wedding in Candi's area - my husband and I didn't get any cash gifts at our wedding. For the bridal shower I would get something that's more of a fun gift (like the flip flops previously mentioned).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I just went through this too...
    For the bridal shower, the invitation had the room of the house you were suppose to "fill". Mine was livingroom so I picked something on her register for the livingroom. I just gave cash for the wedding.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Bridal Shower - more of a girly gift just for her.... cookbook, nightie, tea towels, candles and holders, oil diffuser, jewelry, things of that nature.
    Wedding - for both to share
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Great question. I tend to agree w/ mrs.DAP. Wedding gift is for the couple. Bridal is for the bride in my opinion. Mani/pedi/spa ideas or some sort of pampering thing is nice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:03 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Ditto MrsDap's response.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• wedding = couple gift .......bridal shower = girly gift........spa day, smelly soaps , candles.......it just depends on how well you know the person how personal you want to get.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:26 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Traditionally, if the bridal shower isn't themed, the gifts are for the bride's wedding night.

rose in mouth

You can't have too much sexy lingerie. 

ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:41 PM on May. 8, 2011