Ok- I want to use this picture for my website... but it is "plagerism"?

I have this idea for my shop... and i found this drawing online. I know I can get it printed out and put on a banner... BUT would this be plagerism??

Am I allowed to use this image... but change the colors and add some things to it? and it would just be the drawing of the little girl

A.Mommys.Love

Asked by A.Mommys.Love at 12:01 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 3 (-9 Credits)
  • It's only plagiarism if you try to claim it as your design. If you give the designer credit for it, it's not plagiarism. Remember Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice? He got sued because he used David Bowie's music from "Under Pressure" and did not give him credit for it. So as long as you say where you got the picture, you're good. :)
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Where did you get it? If it is a royalty free image, you can use it. If someone owns it, you can't. You can ask permission. Go to istock photo and look there. Everything costs around $10, then it's yours. I would go that route. Search for fairy illustration. I bet you can find something great.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:06 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Ok.. Thanks Ladies!!!!!
    A.Mommys.Love

Comment by A.Mommys.Love (original poster) at 12:08 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Did you purchase that clip art and check with the designer's terms of use? I create and sell clip art like this and I can tell you that if you are using it for a business very few designers will allow this without you paying for the clipart itself. The fees are not high, but it is stealing if you don't buy it yourself. Check out http://www.scrappindoodles.com/  (this is not my site) I think you will find this clipart of something very similar.  Again, you need to read the terms of use of any site where you purchase clipart and never just grab something you find online to use as your for a business.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Ok.. Great!! Thanks Scout mom!
    A.Mommys.Love

Comment by A.Mommys.Love (original poster) at 12:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It looks pretty simple, can you make your own in paint program?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Seems like you can do this yourself. No, it's not.
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 4:16 PM on May. 6, 2011

• It's only plagiarism if you try to claim it as your design. If you give the designer credit for it, it's not plagiarism
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:20 AM on May. 10, 2011