Breast feeding AHHHH

I am scheduled to have my baby friday morning. I did NOT breast feed with my other children but had decided a while back that I was going to try it, at least for a few months. Now with her birth 2 days away I just really don't want to do it. I don't know why I don't want to. I guess I am nervous about the changes it will make in me and how I will still have a "pregnant" feeling about me. I know it's selfish but I just want to get my body back to normal i know BF is best for baby and a lot more convenient but I am just so nervous of the changes it will continue to make to my body

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are worried about changes in your body, the only ones that are different from pregnancy is from having larger breasts for a longer time (and over time, they will not be as big- the worst part is the first week, and that happens regardless of breastfeeding!)

Wearing a supportive bra is the best thing you can do, whether or not you breastfeed.

And if you didn't have problems with stretchmarks/sagging from previous pregnancies, you are unlikely to have them now.

Good luck, however you choose to go!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 12:14 PM on May. 4, 2011

• BF can actually Help your body go back to normal faster. It helps the uterus to shrink back to normal and burns calories. That being said do what you feel is best but I truly encourage you to give it a try. I thought I would HATE it but it turned out to be one of the most wonderful experiences I ever had. When I think about my children as babies, that is what I miss.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The only postpartum change from breastfeeding, for MOST women, is the continued lack of a period. Breast changes were made by pregnancy... breastfeeding makes no additional changes to your body.

It remains your decision... just wanted to point out that it's a HUGE MYTH that breastfeeding makes changes.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "I don't want to end up with 2 different size boobs"

If you're a normal human being you have those already... they're just not particularly visible. EVERYONE has a larger side, just like being right or left handed.

"and bad stretch marks..... "

That goes with PREGNANCY and huge weight gain... not breastfeeding.

"not to mention I have been so nervous of how I am going to know when she is full"

She'll pull off on her own... YOU do NOTHING. Then you count dipes. One per day of life for the first week. Six to eight changes per day thereafter. That's it! Nothing else. You're overthinking.

"and all that stuff. I just keep reading so many horror stories about one breast gets engourged and nothing helps it IDK im just so freaked out and I wish i wasnt "

You're overthinking. Stop. GO to the bookstore and pick up a copy of "So That's What THey're For" by Janet Tamaro. Easy read and you can have it done b

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have breastfed both of my children for over a year each and my boobs are the same size and shape that they ever were. My sister who could be my twin, including my breasts, has never nursed and our boobs look the same. I would not worry a bit about that part. The part that would give you stretch marks is when your milk comes in, which will happen whether you nurse or not. I never got stretch marks on my boobs, and I DID get stretchmarks everywhere else while I was pregnant...so I wouldn't worry about your boobs. It is what they're designed to do, so it would be kind of like saying that you don't want to give birth because your uterus would change...it is designed to do that.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would say give it a try for a little while and see what you think. It was not for me, but I did suffer through 6 months of it because it was good for the kids. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it - and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. (c: Good luck
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:08 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with But Mommy. I had always said I was never going to breastfeed but I did for 13 months. Now I know I will do it again. it was a struggle for me at first. It took about 2 weeks for DS and i to both get the hang of things but when we did it was easy. I never had to worry about forgetting a bottle. People were always more than willing to let me use a bedroom to feed him in. When you are at a store there are family bathrooms where you can lock the door and they always have benches or big comfy chairs to sit in. The best part is the bonding i had with DS. I feel like we shared a connection that he can never have with anyone else. Oh did i mention I went to better than my pre baby body in less than 6 months? In the end though you have to do what is best for you. GL!

Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Well, bfing did change my body. I went from preggo to 10 pounds below my prepreggo weight within 9 months.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• BF can help you lose weight. I know it sucks and its totally inconvenient at first. keep in mind how convenient it will be at 3am you won't have to get out of bed, make the bottle, have the baby screaming while you're doing it, and then the baby is fully awake for the feeding. with bf you can grab the little one right away and he/she will feed while half asleep and you can lay down. its great!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:22 PM on May. 4, 2011

• BF will help you get your body back. That is up to 500 fat laden calories being sucked from your body each day. Just sayin!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2011