Need advice about switching dr at 14 weeks prego

I work about 40 miles from my house so it is easier to have my dr near work so i can leave and come back to work easily. that was perfect especially with all the prego appointments. heres the issue... the hospital is also about 40 miles away from my house, which means that my mom and husband had to switch off for 4 days (had a c/s) driving back and forth each day cause someone had to be home to get my other dd from school. This time its more complicated because I have a dd in school and a toddler. Soooo... Im thinking about switching doctors so i will have a doctor that delivers at the hospital near my house. i will have a planned c/s again. but it sucks cause ive had this ob for about 6 years and i've had some complications so she knows my history. i was thinking about asking my doctor for a to recommend a new doctor. what would you do?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:12 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'd call around, interview some. See if your doctor will recommend anyone, they say to switch doctors before you are 20 weeks...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• 20 weeks is what i was thinking too cause thats when they schedule the c/s. thx
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 12:14 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Is your dr not willing/able to deliver at the closer hospital? I know some can and some can't. Hopefully if she/he can't they have a great reference for those who can. I completely understand why you would want to deliver there but I also understand that you want to keep your known and trusted dr. Maybe you can continue to see this dr and see one for the c/s! IDK how your insurance works but I know someone that did that. Saw the dr for the surgery and they consulted with the OB being used to make sure they were on the same page. Good Luck Mama!!
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• What does your husband and Mother think about it. They might not mind it in the least. I just changed doctors at 30 weeks and have not really had any issues but if I had had the choice I would have just stayed put where I was at. If it is something that you really want to do then asking your doctor who they might suggest is a fewat idea.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Surely your DR knows of a good one closer. The office will send over any patient information on you to the new DR so the new DR should know all of your complications :)
    mamawhit

Answer by mamawhit at 2:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• @ melbornj... my mom is the biggest worry wart and she has lived in the same small little town her whole life so she is not big on driving across the city of Phoenix twice a day. My husband absolutely HATED the sleeping arrangements at the hospital and i completely understand why he did.

@Alligurl.... my doc is only licensed to perform c/s at one hospital.
    Mel_in_PHX

Comment by Mel_in_PHX (original poster) at 2:31 PM on May. 4, 2011