What should I do about my 14 month refusing to eat certain foods?

My 14 month old will not eat fruit. That's the biggest one she won't eat. But, there are other things that she will refuse to eat. If she doesn't want to eat it, she will spit it out, throw a tantrum, hit the spoon or throw the food on the floor.

I have a 4.5 year old son. We never had any problems with him eating. But, as with all children once in a while, he would try to not eat something. I never let him. He always ate what was put in front of him. There was no big drama. If he didn't eat it, he would get it the next meal. But, when he was my daughter's age, he never had any trouble eating. He ate very well and I was very happy about it.

But, I'm not sure if she is old enough for that yet. I don't know what to do about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep trying to feed it to her. DONT let a 14 month old tell YOU how things are going to be. YOUR the adult. She will eat it when it's the only thing offered and she is hungry.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:16 PM on May. 4, 2011

• So, don't offer her anything else until she eats it?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with Vbruno. Keep offering and she will eventually come around.

If you don't, she will be like every other kid on here and you will be asking why she won't eat anything except nuggets, mac and cheese and pizza.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:23 PM on May. 4, 2011

• What she means is every meal, offer whatever is planned. Don't give her something special on the side. Sit it in front of her. If she eats, fine. If she doesn't, fine.

Do that for every meal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would like to add that she does eat vegetables and grains just fine. She will eat pasta with sauce. But, I feel like it isn't balanced because she won't eat fruit. And I kind of feel like it's not a good thing to teach her that she doesn't have to eat just because she doesn't like it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I certainly wouldn't be making special food just for her, but I'd also be very careful about making eating a good experience instead of a fight. Perhaps you can offer her a few different things, not just one type of fruit. If you know she likes something in particular, make it more of a staple in her diet. Blend things together to get the fruits and veggies in there, like having mac and cheese with broccoli bits in it. Be creative!! Give her the food and whatever she eats, she eats. If she's really hungry then she'll probably eat some of the stuff that she may not care for too much. In the meantime, make sure she's getting a daily multivitamin so that no important nutrients are missed just because she doesn't care for that food at that particular time.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I disagree with vbruno. Offer fruit with meals, but don't just give her fruit and nothing else in the hopes that she'll be hungry enough she'll eat it.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-handle-a-picky-eater_9199.bc

MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Wow..no one said only offer fruits. Geeze. I didn't realize we have to write out thesis in order for everyone to understand.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• BradenlsMySon, she said her daughter wouldn't eat fruit , but that she does eat vegetables, grains and pasta with sauce. Vbruno said, "she will eat it when it's the only thing offered and she's hungry". I read the question, and the follow up posts by the OP, did you?
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:58 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, I read that, but...she didn't say what she ate before that was posted. And most folks would understand her to not mean only offer fruit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:03 PM on May. 4, 2011