Any ideas for a simple, yet elegant, low budget wedding?

My fiance and I are trying to plan our wedding but with the economy in the pits and everything being sky high its hard to put together a nice wedding without spending a fortune. I am not against doing alot of the work myself I just need some ideas! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks a ton!

MyLilClaireBear

Asked by MyLilClaireBear at 12:22 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• If you have someone that is willing to lend a big house and back yard you got it made, I had a wedding for my daughter at my house, and it came out beautiful! we had about 75 to 100 guests and everything was arranged in our big yard, spent less than 3,000.00, I made the food and the money spent was for chairs, tables, linen, and flowers, and a lady to help out with the drinks.

Answer by older at 12:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• well i dont know if you a have a dress but i know you can find some beautiful ones at consignment shops etc as well as a nice tux...also walmart has some decent decorations at great prices..also alot of dollar stores do too...you can go online and find out how to make your own flower arrangements and table designs etc
    Anonymous

• We put together our wedding in2 months with alot of help from family. Do you have that?? They helped us cook the food. They key is to keep the guest list small. We did our invitations online so they didn't cost a thing. many sites offer it. We went to alot of bargain shops to get items on sale for the decorations. Hope that heps..
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 12:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• We spent around 1,000 on my wedding. That included buying my brides maides dresses and 3 tuxes, fresh flowers, professional photograher, designer cake, catering food, dj, orgeonist, preist, and my dress. I used alot of people that my friends used so I received discounts becxause I was referred. I used a local small flower shop and she helped me find flowers that were in season and on sale. The photgrapher was just starting her buisness and she did a friends wedding so I got a discounted referal plus she did extar things ( I still use her for family pics). You just have to shop around and find the best price for you. GL! and Best Wishes!
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Oh and our guest list was 250 people. we come from a very big families.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 12:30 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thanks ladies! All wonderful suggestions and I will get on that pronto. We have a close friend that is a preacher. He has never done a wedding before but we told him we didn't mind at all! Lol. Also, there is a place close to where I live, its an old house that has been renovated. It has several rooms and even an outside gazebo and they are working on an outside dance floor. They provide all linens and flowers and decorate and clean up (and I think cater). To rent it for a day is $1000. For EVERYTHING. That sounded like a good deal to me. What do you guys think?
    MyLilClaireBear

Comment by MyLilClaireBear (original poster) at 12:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband and I got married in a local park gazebo in August, and it was beautiful. We spent less than $2000 total. I found my dress for $25. We bought all the decorations at a party store. All flower arrangements were fake, bought at Michaels, and I made them.
    My grandpa was my DJ, so he was free. Everyone in the family took pictures. His uncle roasted a hog, and all the aunts made side dishes.
    It was very casual, very comfy, and was mostly family with close friends.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 12:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My wedding was planned in a week in advance. We were able to have someon volunteer to do our flowers for FREE, my aunt did the photography, my dad did the music selection and we had it at my parents house. I didn't wear a wedding dress I wore my prom dress. It turned out well for a wedding planned in just a week.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think it's best to keep it small and simple. All my friends that had huge weddings with tons of preparation said they regretted it because it was so much work and money and when it's your actual wedding day, you don't care about any of it, you're too focused on your new husband.

So set your priorities about what you want out of a wedding. DH and I wanted to be married, and to have good pictures, the rest we didn't care about, so the reception was at his mom's house and the cake was just a costco sheet cake.

You might also want to see if there are any college students that are studying design (for invitations) photography (for pictures), or culinary arts, or floral arranging...so many need a big project like a wedding that they'd do for free or at cost.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 12:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• We had my aunt make our wedding cake, we made home made chocolates that was white wedding bells, a friend of the family did the wedding, if can not afford a someone to take photos have people bring their own cameras or use those dispoable ones, We did not have much to eat but so that helped some. I was told the wedding does not make a marriage good or bad so does not matter if big or small or even a lot of money just what makes you and your soon to be husband happy with your wedding. I hope that made sense. You both make the wedding not a wedding makes a marriage.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:46 PM on May. 4, 2011