Any nutritionist out there?

I am looking for help with my daily intake and what my body requires of me in order to lose weight..i have started going to the gym but i know the gym alone is not going to cut it..also i am curious to know how long i should workout each day..or if anyone knows where i can find this info online it would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Sparkpeople.com
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Sure, there is an online BMR calculator you can use. Your BMW, Basal Metabolic Rate, is what your body burns, calorie wise, if you just stayed in bed all day. When you use the free calculator here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

After it calculates it for you you'll see under the results a link to figure out how many calories you need to consume in a day, based on your activity level, to maintain your current weight. If you subtract 500 from that total, this will tell you how many calories you should consume in a day to lose weight.

Then you just look at your BMR total and while regular daily activity for us all will vary that number, and the BMR calculator doesn't show what you burn doing dishes, or laundry, walking around the house, etc. etc. It at least gives you a baseline. So using me as an example, my BMR is 1509, to lose weight I should consume about 1830 calories a day. .....CONT.......
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• ....CONT....now you have to burn 500 calories more a day than what you eat to lose a pound a week (3500 calories more burned that consumed = 1 pound)! So if I already burn 1509 doing nothing and I eat 1830 I need to burn 2330 calories a day. Minus the 1509 BMR number My daily activity and exercise needs to burn an additional 821 calories!

Personally i'm doing Insanity, I get my bodybugg on Friday, which will keep track of my calories burned, I know some people burn as much as 1000 calories or more in one Insanity workout. I'm hoping i'm in the 600 range. I have been steadily losing since starting Insanity, i'm on day 17. So, even though at the moment I don't 100% know what i'm burning with that 35-45 minute workout, I know it is working for me. I am a beachbody coach, so if you want more info just PM me!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• To add to what the other posters said- once you start losing weight you'l want to plug your numbers in again. Usually your calorie intake needs go down as you lose weight. Don't go below 1200 though. It's super freaking hard to get all the nutrients you need with a diet at 1200 calories.

Here's a calculator that looks good. Keep in mind that your calorie requirements also change depending on your activity level.

http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Just an FYI- A 'Nutritionist' is someone who has a reasonable amount of basic nutrition and health information. *I* can legally claim to be a 'Nutritionist', without any formal education.
    A 'Dietitian' is a clinician who has had vast and ongoing training, and is legally certified to offer advice, diet plans, exercise regiments, etc.
    I would *never* seek the advice of a 'Nutritionist' for that reason. ANYONE can legally claim to be a 'Nutritionist'.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If you go to webmd.com and click on "eating & diet" and then "food & fitness planner" it's great!!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• A few foods that skyrocket metabolism is pickles, watermelon, broccoli, grapefruit, water, green tea, and oatmeal. Many people swear that they lost weight by taking apple cider vinegar supplements. I put apple cider vinegar on my salad and I am 5'8 110. Try to include at least 2 servings of fruits and veggies for each meal. You can get wonderful healthy recipes on prevention.com
    ekerazy78

Answer by ekerazy78 at 1:24 PM on May. 4, 2011