How do you cope with PTSD?

I am going thru this and have to the past 71/2 yrs. I have been on different meds. I am recently on Zoloft and have been taking meds to help me sleep because if I don't then I relive the nightmare over and over.
But I quit taking the sleep meds. because I feel better without them but yet I have to constantly keep thinking of something else as I go to sleep.
My anxiety and panic attacks seems to be getting worse.
Here lately I've been thinking is there any way to cope with this I can't stand it no more. Thanks for any help at all.

my4loves3

Asked by my4loves3 at 12:36 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Health

• sorry should have said "have for the past"
    my4loves3

Comment by my4loves3 (original poster) at 12:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I used Hypnotherapy. Go to all your sessions and even when you think you are cured, you keep going back every so often. For my 4-5 sessions that I went, it seemed to last about a year. Then I needed to go again.. for a refresher, I guess. It helped me very much. Since that time, I weaned off all anti-depressants, but I still take an anti-anxiety med.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband suffers from PTSD. He's been doing alot of counseling, he does things to keep his mind occupied so he doesn't think about those bad images. He fishes, plays games online, reads, etc. Anything to keep his mind busy. He was on meds but they took him off cause he OD'd (for other reasons not PTSD). I hope this helps. Best of luck.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Were you in the war or did something else happen?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I've got PTSD as well after a assault.

acupuncture has worked best for me. That and little by little facing what I was afraid of. I wish you well.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The best treatment for PTSD I have seen is getting something called EMDR. (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). You can find a therapist (MFT, LCSW, LPCC or Psychologist) who specializes and is certified in it. It was made for trauma . . . and is amazing on flashbacks. You will start to feel relief in a few sessions.
    Find out what therapists are on your insurance, and call to ask if they are certified EMDR. I can't say enough about it for flashbacks and anxiety related to trauma.
    There is also a bit of an anxiety rebound when you cut the sleeping meds, so you can probably expect a little of that to settle in a few weeks.
    Hugs, hugs . . . with help, PTSD really can get better.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Imogine no hun, I wasn't in the war.
    Um my 20 mo. old baby boy passed away it will be 8 yrs. this July.
    I was backing out of my parents driveway and my brother was holding my sons hand and Robert (my son) wriggled lose and I didn't know.
    Um I'm crying actually as I type this because even to this day the pain is so raw to tell it.
    I still have nightmares of being in that car. Going thru the what ifs and all.
    There are times that I literally get sick to my stomach because the pain seems so fresh.
    I can't remeber alot of things about that time in my life, regarding the hospital, funeral, things that was spoken or anything and here lately things has been coming to mind, like images of him in the hosp. and I try to repress them because I honestly feel as if I truly can't handle that pain of anything anymore.
    I hope I'm making sense to everyone, it's just how I can explain it.
    my4loves3

Comment by my4loves3 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Oh Mama . . . big hug. I am so sorry that happened.

I don't know if you have done this or if it might be helpful, but there are some great non-profits centered around child loss. They often have free support groups and networking for parents. Some people find it helpful to talk to other parents who KNOW.

If you are not connected yet, and would like to be, I can find out about your local contacts and send the info to you. Feel free to PM.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:05 PM on May. 4, 2011