Should Christians rejoice over Bin Laden's death?

Unfortunately, Bin Laden was NOT the enemy, for we wrestle not against flesh and blood. The evil that he let inhabit him is still traveling the earth.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No.
    Proverbs 24:17 - Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

He was a terrible man who orchestrated terrible acts, and I am still angry over the deaths of so many - on both sides - caused by that man. But he was only a man. He was also a victim of the devil's lies. Can I really rejoice that someone is burning in everlasting torment? Is that my place, when but for the blood of Jesus I would have the same fate?

Yes, it is justice. And yes, I believe it was right to execute that justice on him. The Bible makes it clear that murderers must die. But no, I do not rejoice in it.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 8:38 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Why not? Christians are against evil right?

Answer by older at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No. Doesn't it just feel wrong to celebrate someones death? I can't do it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• As a Christian, I will say YES to that
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have an issue with "rejoicing" over death.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Why the hell shouldn't we?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Ummm...what does it matter if you're a Christian or not? Any AMERICAN is rejoicing that he is dead. I don't get this question. Why all the biaseness? Is it because he was a Muslim? His religion wasn't what drove him to kill, it was his madness. Please try to seperate the two. People don't kill in the name of religion, that is just an excuse to use God or whoever.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:51 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I'm not a Christian, but I'm not rejoicing for the sake of it. I, of course, feel saddened that this is the way it had to happen, one must always wish that a good end could come with positive means, but in the real world, sometimes a good end has to be achieved this way. I do rejoice at the destruction of evil, I do think the world will be better without him and he indeed, deserved to be punished for his actions. It was justice.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Chech religious Debate section, theres' still about 4 questions open on this same subject.

Personally I am one that cannot celebrate. Yes he was evil and yes justice has been served with his death but the celebrations are crossing the line IMO and will only cause his followers to see him as more of a martyr. I refuse to give them the satisfaction. Instead I choose to honor the lives lost because of him with remembrance and a sigh of relief that their killer has been brought to justice.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even the enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."
    — Martin Luther King Jr.

So no. I don't think anyone should be celebrating or rejoicing. I can certainly understand why some might, but I won't. And I'm not Christian.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:08 PM on May. 4, 2011