S/O Homeschooling & Socialization VS PreSchool & Socialization

I was just reading the answers to the Homeschooling questions and I'm reading the same arguments on both sides that I always do.

I have known a number of families who homeschooled. And I currently know one with children in "homeschool." Beyond church these kids are not ever spending time with other children. They are not learning how to deal with bullies, people of other beliefs or how to work in a group. That that I have known in the past (who were my age) had similar issues. One of the families had 7 children, they of course had one another, but they still weren't involved in anything beyond family and church.

Now, my children are 4 & 5, and are home full time because I am a SAHM. IF I were to homeschool, they would still be home full time. So the only thing I can assume is they would follow the same pattern of no-socialization that they have so far. I feel for my kids, they don't have neighborhood kids around, so they just have each other.

So here's my thing. I keep hearing from parents that homeschooled children are very social. My question is HOW? How are they so social when they are home alone all day? To me, siblings don't count as socializing.

I love my children and they are the best of friends. But they are not socialized simply because without school or daycare, there is not an option for socialization... So how is it that homeschooled older children are any less alone than younger children who are not in daycare?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Fully agreed! I am a mother of 5 and my kids go to private school ( it is DODEA, army school which is public but run more like a private and only for army kids) anyway, I now tons of homeschooled kids on my street and hey have no friends off of the street, they all play sports etc. But how often can a kid from those things come over? I want my kids to get to know all differnt people, learn how to respecall adults and follow directions from other sources other than DH and I, an I want them to learn how to handle the world! I completely agree with you, and thanks for this post!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:09 PM on May. 4, 2011

• why are you assuming that homeschooled children are home all day? as a sahm, do you stay home all day? do you never take your kids to the park, pool, library or play date? who's to say there aren't "homeschooled children playgroups" out there? for the record, i will send my kids to public school, but i never once assumed homeschooled kids are cooped up indoors all day with nobody to play with/no friends.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:06 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Really..30 is past the age of friends, someone forgot to inform me! I am 38, have a few close friends and I have 8 kids. If I can travel 30 minutes away with 8 kids then I am sure you could to if you really wanted to. It isn't about you, it's about what is best for your children, even my kids with all of their siblings need some outside interaction, what kinda mother would I be if I didn't introduce them to the world and the people in it...good and bad? I think you are looking for reason to not get your kids out, not for ways to help you.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:51 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have to wonder if you live under a rock, anon. How is the park and the library NOT open to anyone? Also, there are homeschool groups all over the country, but not being a homeschooler why would you need to know about them? We don't feel the need to publicize to people, our group grows just fine by word of mouth throughout the homeschool community.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:15 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, as a STAY HOME mom, I stay home... The only time I leave the house is to do the shopping...

well, that sucks for your kids then. i stay at home as well and my kids and i are out daily either at the park or pool. neither are far, two of which in walking distance. but when i want to go far i dont mind wasting less than a gallon of gas so my kids can have fun. this is, after all, their childhood.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Homeschooler often socialize through co-ops, groups of homeschooling families that get together weekly for classes or fun time. There are also other groups to join, my kids are in Girl Scouts, community theater and 4-H. We also do volunteer work with the local animal shelter. I think it's funny how so many people automatically assume that homeschooled kids don't socialize and that public school kids do. I have worked in public schools - the kids can't talk to each other in class, at lunch or while in line. They are limited to "socializing" for 15 minutes a day at recess, unless of course they are sitting around and not getting enough exercise, then we had to tell them to get up and move around. My now homeschooled kids have a lot more social interaction with all ages of people than they ever did in public school.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• you don't hear this from me much, put this post doesn't even make much sense.

sure, there are people that keep their kids away from others, but that certainly doesn't mean that anyone home schooled is in that situation. I was home-schooled for a year in high-school due to a medical situation and I got more social time by far during that time than when I went back to school.
    I've got a friend that home-schools and when I asked her if her kids were being kept away from other kids as the stereotype suggests, she laughed her head off.

everyone is different, and I knew families whose kids were in 'regular school' and they did everything they could to let them only be around the 'right types'

So don't be silly and assume that every kid that is home-schooled is not being social.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• As a SAHM, I still took my son to the library and the park and the grocery store and to visit other relatives and the mall....OP, your issue isn't homeschooling, it's you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• how often do your kids get to learn about others?

We learn about a new different culture each month. I'm not sure if that's what you are asking about. My kids also do social activities 3-4 nights a week with kids their age (from various backgrounds) and they volunteer at least once a week. I don't understand the whole idea of bringing military kids in on this, since the vast majority of public school kids are not military kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• There are no parks, libraries or playgroups unless you are in a daycare or school, that stuff isn't just open to anyone.

WHAT? since when is a park, library and playground not open to public? LOL!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:24 PM on May. 4, 2011