Horrible Insomnia!!!

I inherited insomnia from my mother's side of the family (my mom, my mom's brother, my mom's sister, my brother, my cousins, me)...I'm talking EVERY NIGHT I get about 3-4 hours of sleep. The ONLY time I get GOOD sleep is if I take Advil PM, which I only do on nights where my husband will be able to get up with the kids the next day (i.e. the weekends, and even then I don't take it every weekend). I am mentally and physically exhausted!! On top of it, right now, I'm dealing with three sick (possibly strep) toddlers aged 1, 2, and 3, one of which also has pink eye. Plus, my good ol' friend came for her visit...So, right now, TOTALLY stressed, and it's not makng it better. When I'm stressed, I sleep even less.

Does ANYONE have ideas on how to sleep? Right now, it's after 2Am where I am, and I want to sleep, but just CAN'T. I've tried tea. Tried laying down for hours at a time without any noise/light. Tried music. NOTHING is working! I REFUSE to depend on medication to sleep (my doc prescribed Ambien before...I flushed most of them...And like I said, I don't take the Advil PM every time I can...Maybe one every 2 weeks if that...When I can't take it anymore)...I really need sleep...Anyone? It's really taking a toll on me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Health

• Have you tried aroma therapy?
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 1:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Magnesium supplements work for me. Magnesium is a natural sleep aid.
    Anonymous

• Tried Aroma Therapy...Haven't tried Magnesium, though. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I should add that you should take it every nite; might take 2 or 3 nights to feel it. Studies show that magnesium is the 2nd most important mineral and that most people are extremely deficient. It impacts everything from sleep to bowel movements.
    Anonymous

• The only thing that worked for me for a short while was a course of reflexology, I had once every 2 weeks for about 6 months as my husband had heard it worked in some situations but it was short lived. I did get 6 and a half hours sleep for the 6 months though.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 1:30 PM on May. 4, 2011

• People with insomnia like you and me have a messed up wake system. The wake system promotes alertness during the day
    • The sleep system promotes sleep at night
    • The wake system is dominant for about 16 hours a day, while the sleep system is
    dominant for the remaining eight hours of the day
    • The longer the wake system is "on" during the day (that is, the more waking time we
    accumulate during the day), the greater the drive or pressure for nocturnal sleep and the
    better we sleep.

To get a better wake system you must wake up at the same time every morning even on the weekend. As soon as you wake up open up the shades to let the sunshine pour in. Sunshine is what tells your body it is time to wake up. Go to bed at the same time everynight. To promote your sleep system turn down the lights at around 6 pm. Darkness tells your body it is time to slow down and relax.

ekerazy78

Answer by ekerazy78 at 1:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Along with darkness coolness also promotes your sleep system. Turn the temp down in your house at about 8pm. Do some stretches just before bed as you stretch inhale deeply count to 7 and exhale making a whishing noise and always try to exhale more than what you inhaled. This promotes relaxation.

The MOST important thing to do is also the hardest!! Do not worry about not being able to fall asleep. The worry only adds stress which then in turn keeps you awake. IDo not lay in bed if you are awake for longer than 20 minutes. This tells your body that your bed is used for thinking and not sleeping. Get up go into another room use a little lamp and read a book. Do not turn on any overhead lights as this promotes your wake up system. You need to change your attitude about sleep, which I know is hard as I am still working on it. But instead of fretting over not being able to sleep tonight say "I WILL SLEEP GOOD TONIGHT!"
    ekerazy78

Answer by ekerazy78 at 1:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I do get up every day at the same time (with 3 little ones, aged 1, 2, and 3, I don't get to sleep in. haha), and I am up and moving first thing in the morning (and all day until my husband comes home and helps out with the kids). The kids go to bed at 7, and that's when we start turning down lights, quieting down, turning on the air, etc. We have a routine in the house for the kids, and we follow it, too (with the exception of bedtime...DH goes at about 830 or 9, and I try at the same time). I just can never sleep
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:24 PM on May. 4, 2011