Should weaning from the pacifier be this hard?

I sensed my 11-month old twins were getting really dependent on their pacifiers, so I decided to get rid of them (even though they are so cute with them!) I decided the sabotage method would work best for us, so I poked a bunch of tiny holes in them (I sterilize them extra-frequently now—don't worry) and that seemed to go fine. They noticed the difference, but didn't care too much, so after two days of that, I cut the tips off the pacifiers. Wowie kazowie! They were absolutely distraught! They cannot handle it! The screaming! The wailing! My mellow girls turned into drama queens! (wink) I had to go back to the slightly sabotaged ones.

I heard this usually works in a couple of days, but honestly, I could not have predicted how upset they'd be. They only use the pacifiers for naps and bedtime, and that has been the case for a long time. Any suggestions?

planetjanet23

Asked by planetjanet23 at 1:20 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just let them have it at naptime and bedtime. My son completely lost interest in his overnight on his own at 20 months. 1 year seems a little young to get rid of it altogether.

Answer by missanc at 1:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If they want their paci let them have it. I would take it away by their 2nd birthday for sure though! (You have it easy.. my kids are thumb/finger suckers.. there IS no taking that away)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:22 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would leave them alone. Try again when they are 2 1/2. They are babies!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would let them have it. I try around one to cut back to bedtime, naptime and perhaps the car (depending on the drive:) They are still little and most likely do not understand what is happening. My oldest ds was right under two and my second ds was right over two when I fully took theirs away. The oldest one had a hole in his and he seemed to understand, it had a hole and was broken, we had to throw it away. My second son lost his, it was gone for three days before we found one. When he found it we took it, told him he was a big boy and that was it. There weren't any tantrums, it didn't seem traumatic. Good luck to you!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Hello Janet,
    Well, how about this for a story. LOL My girls were 3 months shy of their 4th birthday when the paci fairy came and took theirs away. I tried throughout the years to get rid of them but I have never in my life seen such melt downs like my two did. Crying for days, not eating, throwing up, it was the saddest thing I have ever seen. My boys never used a pacifier, ever, so this was a little out of my league. I say if they want it let them have it. It has done my girls no harm. They are 4 1/2 now and very well adjusted.
    newmommytaketwo

Answer by newmommytaketwo at 3:34 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Well thanks everyone for weighing in. I believe (and these stories seem to confirm) that waiting longer will make getting rid of them worse, which is why I'm doing it now. Honestly, I didn't know it at the time, but back when they were about 9 months, when I reduced the use of them to naps and bedtime (which went *super* easily), was probably the time to get rid of them altogether. I have since learned that around 9 months is an excellent window when it's not too traumatic for them to get rid of it.

In any case, I am motivated by being woken a few times each night (by one or the other) because they are too sleepy to roam around their crib looking for the paci. It sucks. I'm not doing that for 3 or 4 years.
    planetjanet23

Comment by planetjanet23 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on May. 5, 2011