What is the best breed of dog to raise with children?

We are getting a house soon that will have a back yard & my husband is dieing to get a dog!! (puppy stage). We have a 2 year old son, so in your opinion what dogs are great with kids?? which ones should we stay away from?

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 1:30 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say a lab or boxer
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:32 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't know what size dog your looking for but in my experience golden retrievers are great dogs all around, great pets and excellent with children.
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 1:34 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with mlmsm.

Answer by older at 1:34 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Oh an congrats on the new house!
    EJKZ

Answer by EJKZ at 1:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thank you!! We are very excited! We've always lived in apartments/townhouses and have definatly outgrown them with a 2 year old & im sooo excited to have a back yard for him to play in!
    EthansMommy5

Comment by EthansMommy5 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would caution on a boxer with such a small child. They are large and high energy. Mostly all our dogs have been mutts and I love mixed breeds. Our dog is a golden/beagle cross, and our last dog was a lab/rottie cross.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I was raised with a black lab and a black lab rottweiler mix. They were awesome to grow up with, easy to get along with ...and the one that is still alive is still my buddy :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 1:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• After my oldest son has been attacked by a black lab and an australian shepherd, I wouldn't suggest anything other than a golden retriever. We had one and she was the sweetest thing ever!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 3:23 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I am a vet and have been for 8 yrs. The most important TIP I will give you is if whatever dog you may choose make sure the dog goes though training!!!!! I have a mixed breed and a Great Dane with a cat. They all do well with my 2 yr old son. Again you can have any dog in your house but they need manners and training and your household will be safe and your child will be fine!!
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 2:44 PM on May. 7, 2011