OBL Death photos NOT being released

how do you feel about this? i just heard this now breaking news on CNN - don't feel like googling a link but feel free to do so yourself. i, for one, am not happy about this decision.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:30 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What about some of the families of those who died in 9/11 that need more proof?

Honestly? I think they should contact their DC representatives and (under certain specific and justified cases) be privy to such information. Otherwise, I~ personally~ do not think it needs to be exploited by national (and international) media...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

• A kill shot above the left eye wouldn't blow the face away, just the back of the head ... unless they hit him with a grenade launcher or something.

They should release the photo/s, whether only to the families of the victims or to the general public I'd be willing to let others decide, but those who lost so much have a right to closure. They have that right whether or not the entire Muslim world goes up in flames imo. I've yet to see anything that indicates the Muslim world checked with us to see how we'd feel about being targets or getting dead. What I vividly remember is Muslims dancing on American streets in joy, so if they all walk around in twisted underwear now, tough noogies. Those who claim to be peaceful should have no problem with providing closure for the victims.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:47 PM on May. 4, 2011

• LOL After leaving just enough time and enough hints that they would be released. Of course he won't
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• why was it okay to show Saddam's hanging live?

I don't think it is a question of what is OK for one vs the other... It was released by Iraqi government. A choice they made for their people. I am not saying people who have questions and concerns don't have a right to see the proof of his death (especially those directly impacted with the horror UBL caused).  I, just think it should be a matter handled discreetly and with conscious efforts made not to exploit...  Of  course, with the FOIA, I am sure it will make it to the press and they would exploit anyway...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:56 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "why was it okay to show Saddam's hanging live? "

It wasn't. No more than it was OK to show the death of an Olympic athlete on tape.

I don't know that the photos would make us any more unsafe... but then, as I said in another thread yesterday, terrorism doesn't make me feel particularly unsafe.

If the 9-11 families want to see the photo, it should be made available to them only, via private conference. What I'm hearing, though, is that OBL's death really makes little difference to them. It doesn't bring their loved ones back.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:08 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Quite honestly, not really interested in viewing dead body pics. I know a lot of ppl are "seeing is believing" kind of ppl. I'm not saying I believe or disbelieve. There are always going to be doubters, even with pics. So, there is no "winning" with the public as to this situation.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Im not surprised they are scared to release them. I am sure they will be in time though, maybe not in this administration but later.

Answer by gemgem at 3:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It doesn't matter to me either way. I don't really care to see the photos, but if they had released them I'm sure I would have seen them on one news site or another. There will be criticism if they release them and criticism if they don't, so whatever decision they think will cause the least problems right now I guess.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:42 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I am assuming they will be leaked like all the other sensitive info out there. Just give it time.
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 1:33 PM on May. 4, 2011

• More Questions than answers... What SOME believed to be the Absolute truth yesterday, changes today...  Not surprised..  It will probably change again tomorrow... I don't need to see the pictures.  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:35 PM on May. 4, 2011