How old do you have to be to get your tubes tied?

Does it vary state by state?

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• i dont know here in ohio you can get them done at age 21 i was 23 when i had mine done now im 26 next month i will be 27

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i know in ohio u have 2 have atleast 2 kids then u can but im not sure bout anywhere else

Answer by butterscotch297 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• buttercup i was told no matter how many kids you had you can get them done my obgyn told me that when i was pregnant with my second not being rude or anything but that what i was told

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I heard you have to have 2 kids first as well. I am in california with one kid and am 23. I think it is 25 here.

• in louisiana i was told by all my OB GYNs that it's 25 w/ 2-3 kids. {i'm guessing 2 but 3 to be safe..i guess i'm going to ohio.

Answer by chyna_doll at 7:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I live in Michigan and I dont think there are any rules, I am 23 and after I had my second child my ob asked if i wanted bc or tubal. I guess it depends on the situation also, because I have a friend who is 21 and pregnant with her second and she is getting a tubal after the baby is born. She cant get pregnant anymore due to doctors orders.

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I'm in Illinois. I tried at 21 or 22 and they wouldn't let me, thank God! From what I was told it was possible but most docs wouldn't do it at that age. She told me I'd have to find someone willing and I just gave up.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2008