Pleasee!! How do i make this stop!??

I take care of my nephew all day, from 6am-4pm. So he pretty much is gonna learn discipline from me. Well, after everything i ask him or tell him to do he tells me "Noooo" and gives me that ornary look like he KNOWS that it pisses me off lol! He is almost 2. HOW do i get him to STOP! I have tried ignoring him... i have tried saying "Yes" several times to get him to say that instead..but nothing is working!!
Please, if you know how to stop this..fill me in! lol

Mommy103110

Asked by Mommy103110 at 1:58 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a stage. Don't react to it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• LMAO ahhh mine just started this after DH started work again. I'd also like to know the magic secret lol
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My DS does this sometimes too. He tries to get me to laugh so that he will think he is no longer in trouble. Your nephew is just testing his boundries, which is completely healthy for his age. What I do is I get down to his level and tell him that if he does not do what I say he will go in time out or I will take this away. He then usually does what I have asked, with resistance ( like walking really, Really slowly) or he meets his punishment. He has good days and bad days.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 2:01 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, it is a stage. The terrible two's, threes etc.! hang in there. When he acts sassy, just walk away & make yourself busy. Otherwise he'll learn that when he acts up, he gets your attention.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• what we started to do, is if they didn't pick up their toys, we took them by the hand and "helped" them pick up the toys..
    eventually they did it on their own.

mine talk back all the time.. (nooo, i'm an adult, i'm not going to do it)
    we have a reward system, they get check marks if they listen... Checks taken away if misbehaved.

if they fill up the chart (5days, at school and home)
    we take them to MCD's, chuckie chesse, or they can get one toy.

it's helped so much.. but they still aren't perfect. They have their bad days., and we accomadate to their needs, however we STILL expect them to do what we say.

try playing the "clean up game" ... count to him and tell him "how fast can he pick them up"..

i have twins (4) and toddler (2)
    so far so good... GL! hope i can help alittle.
    steph_twins

Answer by steph_twins at 2:06 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My son just turned 2 and he says "no" to every question I ask him even though he knows how to say "yes". It's a stage he's going through.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It is driving me NUTS!!! lol I just finally got to the point where i wont talk to him or play with him if he is going to be a turd like that!! lol But when he is being nice, i will play with him and laugh with him
    Mommy103110

Comment by Mommy103110 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My boy is doing the same thing! Except I get "I don't want to". If he won't come with me when I ask, I just scoop him up and go along, if he won't pick up, he gets "helped". I always tell him "I know you don't want to, but we are going to anyway." Good Luck! I have a feeling this age ain't for sissies!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:39 PM on May. 4, 2011