Do you allow your kids to watch a lot of TV?

I have noticed a difference between my older kids and my younger kids. My older kids grew up without a TV in their rooms whereas my younger ones have one in their rooms, My older kids tend to crave more TV time now and watch it more often. My younger ones have a TV in their room and it is on 24/7 as long as we are home and they barely watch any TV at all. It is just background noise.

2and2onway

Asked by 2and2onway at 1:58 PM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• 1 hr (if that) a day... we are more interested in the "outside" world... :)
    steph_twins

Answer by steph_twins at 1:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• he has his own tv but barely watches it
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:00 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, I don't think watching a tv or having it on as background noise all the time is healthy. My kids aren't allowed to have tvs in their room, because they have more interesting things to do. But my kids have never been ones to veg out in front of the tv anyway.
    I think that making things totally off limits sometimes does breed a glutton for that item when it's available, but I don't think a free for all on anything is good either.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on May. 4, 2011

• against my better judgment, yes. The TV is on all day though I try to discourage sitting around all day (especially since we live in the mojave and it is already in the 90s... gotta get them outside before it gets too hot for them to go out at all
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:01 PM on May. 4, 2011

• we're trying to phase out tv and encourage movies more. mostly do to commercials, they're corrupting my sweet babies!

my kids each have a few fave tv shows I dvr them and try to fast forward thru commercials. Glee, Good Luck Charlie, Imagination Movers, and Arthur are their current favorites.

they ALWAYS watch tv after coming in from outside. my son has asthma and is usually a bit winded and needs to be sedentary. And usually while I make dinner. Not nearly as much on weekends, as we're so busy with dance and stuff.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• *glutton isn't the right word, desire is closer

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I was a 24/7 t.v. mom when my son was 2 but I did see that he lost interest in programs and he wouldn't sit through movies anymore because he was used to losing interest and moving on to something else. I stopped keeping the t.v. on and started getting him children's c.d.s of Nick Jr. songs and some disney songs and he loves listening to those when he's in his room. Much better for him than having a t.v. on all the time.
    Anonymous

• They dont watch much, we used to watch more, but I decided to cut it out all together for a little while, and they never even asked to watch it. Now most days they wont watch any, or tops 1-2 cartoons if I just need the break for a little bit. They never ask to watch it, so it doesnt seem to bother them at all that its not on, well on a rare occasion, and I generally let them if they want to. They will ask to listen to music, but very rarely to watch tv. (they are 3 1/2 and 2)
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 2:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• They don't watch much on a regular basis.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• A freaking ton..since birth. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:07 PM on May. 4, 2011