How old was your child when they could ride a bike ..

With or without training wheels?
Our son is 3-1/2 and he can push the tricycle pedals and go but we got him a bike with training wheels and we are struggling now that the pedals aren't following him like the tricycle pedals do.
he doesn't always give the best effort when it comes to things but I also think he could be just not all together that coordinated either where things like this take more time.. my DH is getting frustrated but I think.. he's only 3-1/2 and this is brand new but he also tends to feel I "baby" him
so just curious when other children could ride a bike

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:00 PM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, my youngest dd is 5 and can't ride a bike with or without training wheels. She's never had one until now. A neighbor gave her one when they moved. Before that she had a pedal car that she could ride since about 3.
    I don't remember how old my other kids were when they figured out how to pedal their two wheelers with training wheels on...I think around 4-5 years old. They were interested before that.
    They learned to ride without training wheels at 8, 6 1/2 and 6 1/2. The first 2 learned at the same time and then the next summer the 3rd was taught by her friend (I had nothing to do with it).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• He was 6 when he could ride a real one with no training wheels. Only because he had a HEAVY Mongoose bike and couldn't hold it. If he had a smaller bike, it would have been sooner.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:09 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Both of my boys could ride their bikes with no training wheels at 4. I know this is going to sound weird, but we brought the bike inside and set them up so the the training wheels were sitting on tuna cans in the living room, they learned balance that way. After a few days, we took the training wheels off and away they went.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:06 PM on May. 4, 2011