What do any one think about psych meds for kids?

I saw a Documentary on mind altering medication that are being given to or kids from teachers on the behalf of doctors. they tell us that or kids have ADHD, and other mental defects that prevent or kids from normal life. but they can't explain what the terms and conditions of these illnesses mean, and we do not pay attention to the side affects thereof.

urselbaker

Asked by urselbaker at 2:06 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think some of that is crap and some of it is to sell meds my son was on a year and we took him off Ritalin he was just a normal kid after four years of chemo therapy no more.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:16 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Personally I'm not a fan of psych meds at all. I would never, ever give my children them no matter what, unless they were endangering their own or anyone else's lives.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 2:10 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think a lot of kids are diagnosed in error. I certainly wouldn't medicate a child for it. Those meds are too dangerous IMO for a growing child.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:10 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I'm not a fan, nor supporter.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think it should be a last resort. And by last resort I mean after 4-5 doctors, bloodwork, scans, therapy, diet, chiropractor, anything and everything else I could come up with or was suggested.

Also the benefits would need to TOTALLY outweigh the risks. The childs life would need to be borderline unlivable before I'd consider meds
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think if my child had diabetes, I would make sure he/she had insulin.  It is no different for children with psych issues.  After thorough examinations and perhaps  2nd or 3rd opinions, I would medicate my child if it was needed.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No need to worry about street pharmacists (Drug dealers) alot of kids come with their own pharmacy.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My 7 year old has ADHD. We tried everything we could and our doctor helped us find alternative methods to meds. Unfortunately none of them worked and I was devastated. After lots of research, praying, tears, and talking with my DH, we decided to try meds. My son has done a 360 from where he was a year ago. Ritalin did nothing for him, as a matter of fact I felt his behavior was worse. He now takes Concerta in the morning, and Clonidine and Remeron at night.

My DS never slept and went 100 miles an hour 24/7! He now has a strict routine that we try to avoid messing up but sometimes things come up. He goes to bed without the fighting and gets up without fighting. He no longer loses recesses (he'd have to do his work because he couldn't focus with all the kids in the room) and is thriving in school! So while I don't think meds are always the answer, I do think they have helped my child.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 8:54 PM on May. 4, 2011