Any advice for surviving staying home with a newborn and a toddler?

Hi. I just recently gave birth to my second son, he is now 4 weeks old. I also have a toddler who is 2 1/2 years. I've help from my husband and Mom until this week but now I am on my own because my husband is back at work and my Mom lives out of state. I welcome any advice or storiers about how to manage two little ones.
Thanks

jennid120

Asked by jennid120 at 2:12 PM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just take one day at a time. The dishes can wait and most of the laundry if need be :) If everyone is clean and fed then life is good. Things get a lot calmer as everyone works out new routines. Try you best to enjoy the little moments even when you're tired. Is your 2 1/2 year old still napping? Hopefully:) I really enjoy have one on one time with my kids when the others are napping. My kids are now 1, 3 and 4.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Wow! That's a lot to manage. Nap time is becoming my favorite time of day...altough i need to be better about relaxing. Lately, I
    've just run around trying to get chores done. :)
    jennid120

Comment by jennid120 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I stay at home with my 2 1/2 yo and my 10 month old. It's a lot of fun! I also have older kids at school - they are 9, 11, and 13. It's easier now than when my youngest was a newborn. We went on a lot of walks and still do, they love to play together in the tub, and they both like the train table, reading books. As the little one gets bigger we do more things all together - eating, napping, etc. than when they were younger and I played with my 2 yo when his little sis was napping.
    This summer is there a highschool/college student who could come one morning/week and let you have some alone time with the 2yo to go somewhere special - the library, playground, etc?

Answer by missanc at 3:22 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My son was 11 months old when my daughter was born. I learned not to worry about how my house looked by the end of the day... if it was still standing when my hubby came home, we were in good shape :).
    Try to get into a routine early... maybe not a "schedule" exactly, but just try to have structure. Otherwise, chaos can ensue. Everyone says to sleep while they nap, but it's not always possible (my kids NEVER napped at the same times, no matter how hard I tried.)... I'd lay on the floor while my son played around me and my daughter napped.
    Some days will be better than others. Some weeks will be better than others. It's not always easy.
    Oh, and cherish these moment when there's only one who's mobile. My kids learned early that mommy isn't capable of chasing them both if they ran in opposite directions. I swear, it's their hobby...
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 10:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thanks. I know it will eventually get easier and I need to relax about housework and just let things be. My in laws will be back in June and so then i am hoping to have some special time to bring my two year old places. I think finding a routine will make things easier. I am really glad to have this time with them and that they will have each other to grow up with. :)
    jennid120

Comment by jennid120 (original poster) at 1:41 PM on May. 5, 2011