Should children six yrs and up be medicated for signs ans symptoms of ADHD/ADD?

IF your son or daughter was haveing a rough scool yr and you were always being contacted by the school and was always speaking with first geade teacher and principal wuld you agreeto an adhd/add medication???

felker613

Asked by felker613 at 2:33 PM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would only medicate if an independent child psychologist had officially diagnosed AND 6 months of counseling had failed to help. There are many reasons for ADHD-like symptoms in young kids, much of which are not related to ADHD at all in etiology.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Have you talked to your child about it? We got some for our son, mainly for his turrets but it works for both. We talked about it and I told him if at anytime you don't want to take it or it makes you feel weird we can stop or we can ask for a new medicine. The choice was his. However several drs did tell me that giving him prescription drugs now is better than him self medicating later statistics show that adhd children don't like the way they feel so they turn to drugs
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 2:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would wait for a diagnosis and then try everything possible instead of medication. But, unfortunately, in some kids medication is needed.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:42 PM on May. 4, 2011

• no. I did for a year and I stopped because he had chemo for four years why add to the side effects later if any at all.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No. Absolutely not. Period.

The long term side effects are not worth the short term gain. Children seemed to learn JUST FINE 50 years ago, before we medicated everyone for everything. They still can and do, despite the diagnoses of ADD/ADHD.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, I would not. In fact, I did not. I was hounded from the time my son started kindergarten to medicate. I had to threaten litigation to make it stop. In addition, every specialist I saw pushed for meds too. Even AFTER I was able to rid my son of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach, the neuro-psychologist who evaluated him thought meds were a good idea. I knew the answer for him was never going to come in the form of psychotropic medication, despite the fact that everyone told me that if I didn't medicate, he'd end up quitting school or in jail. He's graduating from high school next month, was accepted by every college he applied to, works 35 hours a week in addition to school (while still maintaining his grades), and has been the easiest teenager to deal with.

Tread lightly when it comes to this issue. Do not be bullied. Do your own research; make your own informed decisions. Best of luck; you'll need it.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:15 PM on May. 4, 2011

• In case you couldn't tell, I believe (always have) that the subject of medication should remain outside the realm of education. Ok, I'm done now.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• HAVE YOUR DOCTOR REFER YOU TO A DR. THAT SPECIALIZES IN ADD/ADHD.
    DON'T TAKE THE SCHOOLS WORD .
    INSURANCES COVER THOSE SPECIALISTS NOW.
    GOOD LUCK!
    TRACY1977

Answer by TRACY1977 at 3:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, I am an adult with ADD and the medication saved my life. Kids with ADD really suffer, and they can't express it. I really have a heart for those who have parents who feel that medication is a "crutch". If your kid needed insulin you wouldn't even be asking this question.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I honestly feel it depends on the child. Some DO need it. Some just need to lay off the sugar intake. (I've read studies about where some kids were diagnosed with ADD/ADHD when all it was is that they had too much sugar in their system...I am NOT saying this about you/your child.)

Also, apparently red dye in drinks can cause kids to act crazy as well (kids' teacher asked that nothing to drink with red dye be sent to school for snack/lunch). But yeah, I'd look at trying to deal with things naturally before going after medications. But some people NEED meds, while others can take care of it with more natural approaches.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:05 PM on May. 4, 2011