Tweens

This past week a mother of two children killed herself, she shot herself in the head. The kids and her boyfriend were upstairs when she did it. Her kids are twins. How do you explain the craziness to your children? My daughters go to school with her kids and know them very well.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 2:55 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• That would definitely be difficult to explain. I would probably explain to my children about the death and if it was known that it was suicide we'd talk about that and why it happens, about depression and sadness. I would also explain sympathy and the importance of it at times like this.
    That's a lot for a young child to understand.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:58 PM on May. 4, 2011

• there is no easy ay to explain it
    auggirl11

Answer by auggirl11 at 2:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I sure wouldn't call it craziness. Your kids are hold enough to understand that sometimes people are hurting so much inside that they don't know what else to do to stop the hurt. That some people feel the only way out is suicide because some people think that getting help for mental illness is not ok, that mental illness is not ok. They are old enough to understand that it is OK to need and get help when things aren't going ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Is the school providing counseling to the students?

I would help them understand how to talk to the twins, what they might say and probably should not say

Make sure they know that they will hear lots of talk about what happened but they should come to you with any questions
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:20 PM on May. 5, 2011