Sandwich meat

Does anyone else not buy prepackaged sandwich meat? I don't know why...but it gives me the heevy jeevies. I buy from the deli and only enough for what I am going to use it for. I don't ever let it sit in the fridge for more than about two days. My DH thinks I am crazy. Of course...he throws away chips ON their sell by date.... I think he is crazier....

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 3:06 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• i agree with you its totally gross!! And i dont even like buying it from the deli..i have seen it be icky there too!! now on the chips thats a little extreme..but hey each to their own right?
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• i don't think your crazy at all i do the same thing myself b/c to me turkey that is pre-packaged feels slimy and not right to me and seems to go bad faster than from the deli.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It really depends. I won't buy packaged ham, but I will buy packaged turkey. I prefer the hillshire farms stuff that comes in it's own little tupperware container though.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I've never had a problem with the prepackaged lunch meats...I was raised using them...never really gave it much thought.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:14 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I'd rather buy prepackaged than "fresh" - the prepackaged has a sell by date, but you never know how long the "fresh" stuff has been in that counter - I used to work behind the meat counter of a grocery store and we'd use the same "fresh" lunchmeat until it was gone, even if we were selling the same stuff on Saturday that we'd been selling since Monday. I'll only buy "fresh" if it's a kind that isn't available prepackaged.
    Anonymous

• I just don't buy it because I don't think the quality is as good as the cold cuts you get directly sliced by the deli like Boars Head Brand. But it won't kill you, just probably higher in sodium to preserve it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I do the same thing and my husband thinks I am nuts also but he does some things that I feel the same way about him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:20 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't buy the prepackaged stuff because it all has nitrites and nitrates. I buy from a local deli where the meats are nitrite/nitrate-free.
    Anonymous

• i think the prepackaged is better than from the deli. you have it sealed in its package to last longer where when you go to the deli they give the ziploc bags and that doesn't keep the meat fresh after awhile.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:38 PM on May. 4, 2011