What do you think of the National Day of Prayer?

Mommee42boyz

Asked by Mommee42boyz at 3:26 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it is wonderful, and very much needed. I believe in the power of prayer....
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:35 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It's better than National Step in A Puddle And Splash Your Friend Day. (Jan 11) Or National Toothache Day (Feb 9), Be Nasty Day (March 8), or Tell-A-Lie Day (April 4).

Today is National Candied Orange Peel Day!

http://www.louderbacks.com/home/dict/days.html

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think it's a good idea. This country needs prayer!
    tel4him

Answer by tel4him at 3:30 PM on May. 4, 2011

• that it is a voluntary religious movement. those who do not pray do not partake. the word prayer symbolizes speaking to any god of any religion, and i like that, as it does not single out Christianity alone. 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I had never heard of it til I joined CM. And I don't think we should have ANY religiously based national holidays. That violates the separation of Church and State. That said, they aren't forcing anyone to pray or praying in schools or at the office... So it doesn't hurt anyone any more than Christmas or Easter do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:34 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't pray. So it's just like all those other "special" days I don't give a darn about.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "Our Nation was founded on Christian principles that is why it is constitutional. "

Actually, NO, Mommee. It is NOT constitutional for that reason. Our country's alleged Christian principles have nothing to do with the constitutionality of this... indeed, if we WERE founded as Christian the national day of prayer would be a federal holiday and participation would be mandatory. And no one but Christians would be allowed in this country.

Freedom of speech is the correct answer here. As to the nation's alleged Christian principles... I don't think Christ would be very accepting of most of what this nation has done since its founding. War, slavery, execution, state-sponsored persecution of Indians and Japanese....nah. He'd turn His back on the nation... and look for the individuals who actually pay attention to what He said in the Gospels.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:16 AM on May. 5, 2011

• i think it a great thing for people to come together to pray for whatever as a team, in one accord.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Since multiple religions pray I don't see it as being a holiday for just a few people. I think our country can use all of the prayers it can get. How can that be a bad thing?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If people want to participate good for them. I will not.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:56 PM on May. 4, 2011