Suggestions for Wiggly kid??

My son hasn't gotten a smiley face in his behavior folder for about 3 wks because he can't/won't follow directions... I have talked to his teacher 2x now, and she says he just wiggles... swinging arms around (hitting someone) hopping in line (running into someone) etc..... I am about at my wits end with him! Yesterday he came home and jumped on the trampoline for 30min then went to Tball and ran the bases for 30min BEFORE the game... then played the game!

coltenNlawson

Asked by coltenNlawson at 3:33 PM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• in addition to or instead of tball I'd try a class that's going to teach him to be in control of his body and muscles and actions more. Like a kids yoga, gymnastics, or karate. He needs some self discipline and that there's a time and place for activity and a time/place for taking a deep breath and soothing yourself.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• PATIENCE.
    EVERY MOTHER HAS HAD THEIR CHILD IN THE HIGH ENERGY STAGE.
    KEEP YOUR COOL
    WORK ON STILLING AT HOME AND IT WILL HELP WHEN YOU ARE OUT.
    TRACY1977

Answer by TRACY1977 at 3:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I am interested to hear the answers to this one too bc my daughter (3yo) has energy like crazy. I hope it kind of settles down by the time she has to go to school but I dont know. Shes like a small energizer bunny I swear.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 3:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• i thought about Karate. His dad is not very supportive in his activities unless they are HIS ideas (hunting, fourwheelers, deerlease, etc) I had to pull teeth to get him to allow me to take Colten on his weeks so that he wouldn't miss.
    coltenNlawson

Comment by coltenNlawson (original poster) at 3:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with hibbingmom. My DH who is ADHD took karate and it help him control himself. Your child has to learn to relax and sit still. I think it is natural for a child to be in constant motion.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 3:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Has your son been evaluated by an occupational therapist for sensory issues. Some of what you describe is classic. Tons of people have sensory issues and don't realize it. A therapist can help him manage them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Sounds like it may be something he is eating. Sugary foods or drinks?? Red or blue dye in food reaction?? What does he eat or drink at school?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:19 PM on May. 4, 2011

• FOOD WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT.... BUT HIS DIET HASN'T CHANGED AT ALL. I ASKED MY MOM (A KINDERGARTEN TEACHER FOR 10+ YRS) AND SHE SUGGESTS EMOTIONAL.... BUT I HAVE ASKED HIM AND HE ANSWERS EVERYTHING FINE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT GOES ON AT DAD'S THO, OR IF ITS BECAUSE SCHOOL IS ALMOST OUT.... THIS JUST HAPPENED OUT OF THE BLUE.
    coltenNlawson

Comment by coltenNlawson (original poster) at 4:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Growth spurt!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:19 AM on May. 5, 2011