My 9 yr old is having problems in school

Not sure how to deal with this. My daughter is very well liked in school, teachers pet even. She has some learning issues and is getting extra help. She has to work very hard for good grades. She has no behavior issues but is a big day dreamer. She doesn't know she is doing it but the time escapes her when doing work by herself. Her teacher says that if she realizes that she is daydreaming she will say something to her to snap her out of it, but sometimes she doesn't know until my daughter brings up her work halfway done. Her grades have improved with me having her on a strict schedule at home, but her work at school is still being handed in incomplete. Since I am not at school and her teacher is working on dealing with it I haven't made a big deal at home about it. School ends in a few weeks and I will home school her during the Summer as I do every year. How can I help her with the daydreaming when left to work on her own? She doesn't do it on purpose and gets mad at herself when she realizes she has done it.

2and2onway

Asked by 2and2onway at 3:44 PM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have her tested for any and all learning disabilites, add, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I forgot to say that she has an Educational plan and has been logged as LD not specific. No ADD or ADHD.
    2and2onway

Comment by 2and2onway (original poster) at 5:11 PM on May. 4, 2011

• You know, ADD often goes undiagnosed in girls because of this whole "they sit still thing" ADD is not just being hyper and having bad behavior, it is not focusing!! which is what your daughter is doing when she is "daydreaming" If she has an IEP, then she needs to sit somewhere with no distractions while you have her tested for ADD again. And I would consider meds.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 5:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• dwmom she had been evaluated last year, but after seeing your post, I looked into it a bit more online and just sent her teacher and the guidance counselor an email. Thank you. I have a son with so many issues and never thought she had anything to concerning, until I read this. Thank you.
    2and2onway

Comment by 2and2onway (original poster) at 5:55 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If the teacher allows, maybe get her a watch that buzzs every so often to make sure she's focusing? At least until she can get seen again for ADD.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Would the watch distract other kids though, she is timid in school and I would be afraid anything that drew attention to her directly would make her feel uncomfortable and singled out.
    2and2onway

Comment by 2and2onway (original poster) at 8:07 AM on May. 5, 2011