Eyeglasses and insurance....

so i havent been to the eye doctor in some time, and i have noticed a change in my prescription, so i made an appointment for today. i will obviously need new contacts, but i would also like to get a new pair of eyeglasses. my question is.... what does insurance usually cover? how does it work? i have eye med access plan b. not sure if anyone is familiar with that. the last time i was at the eye doctors... i didnt have eye are insurance. so whatever i wanted, i was paying for. but say i want a pair of cute ray ban eyeglasses... does insurance only cover the lens portion and i buy the glasses? i really have no idea how it works.

thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Health

• We have EyeMed, but I'm not sure what plan. Ours covers the eye exam 100% but not the contact fitting, glasses it covers a certain $$ for frames - I think it's $150? and basic lenses, anything else is an extra charge. If you buy glasses that cost more than the covered amount, you pay the different. If you want anti glare reflective coating you pay for the upgrade.

Answer by missanc at 3:51 PM on May. 4, 2011

• You'll have to contact your insurance carrier or talk to the docs office. They can tell you what exactly they pay for and what your responsible to pay.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Mine covers an exam and contacts or eyeglasses 100%. 

CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• every plan is different and only they can tell you what they cover. Hubby and I both just went to the eye doctor and ordered new glasses. Insurance will pay $40 for the lenses and $35 for frames for each of us. That's all, but I guess it is better then nothing.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• They are all different, but typically it is a non tinted lense that they will pay for and only a certain percentage of the frames. The exam is usually covered 100%. If you want the upgrades you just have to pay the difference,
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Our eye insurance covers $50 for lenses, and $25 for frames, every other year. We are thinking of getting rid of it. When we sat down and figured it up, we are paying more than what is covered. And covering frames every other year, what are you suppose to do during the off years?
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 4:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• mine covers the exam only, any glasses or anything, lenses and all, are out of my pocket - but they do put the amount towards my deductible.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:18 PM on May. 4, 2011