How and when should i move my lil one to a toddler bed? Shes only 10 months now, but i was curious about it.

Toddler bed

missamanda86

Asked by missamanda86 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• We just transitioned our son almost a week ago and he will be 1 on the 24th of July, best thing we ever did he now sleeps through the night and we have not had one problem in his toddler bed. He hated his crib and screamed the whole time he was in it, if I took him out he would immedietly lay on the floor and fall asleep, I am not the type to just let him sleep on the floor we thought we would try the toddler bed as just an experiment, no way will he be going back to his crib not to mention he will cut ties with it ever being his before the baby is born in january
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 7:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• A good rule of thumb is when they start trying to climb out of the crib then it's time to move to a bed. lol Both of my kids started climbing out of the crib at about 2 - 2 1/2 years old. I probably could've switched them to a bed sooner.

I never used a toddler bed. I always used a regular bed with a bar along the side. Part of the bar slides under the mattress and that's what holds it in place. I figured I would save money that way (why buy one bed only to have to buy another in a few more years).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:49 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I switched for my daughter when she started walking, but if your baby is already trying to get out, I would do it a little sooner. Good luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I didn't switch Will until he was almost two, and I probably would have held out longer but we moved. We had to take down the crib to move and so we didn't want to put it back together. I kind of wished that we would have waited longer, because I liked that he couldn't get out of bed. It also depends on the potty training thing, because if you want them to get up at night to go the bathroom, they obviously need to be in a bed.
    stampinfriends

Answer by stampinfriends at 10:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My daughter turned 2 in April and this is just her third night in a twin size bed. My older daughter was also over 2 when she was moved out of the crib. Neither one ever tried to climb out though. I probably would have left them in longer if I hadn't needed the crib for the next baby! I think it just depends on the child. My 2 year old preferred the crib and up until this week would cry like she was scared whenever we tried the bed.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I switched my daughter to a toddler bed when she started to walk steadily. That way I wouldnt have to worry about her climbing out of her crib. She did very well!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 1:08 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Honestly I took my son's cues. We were hoping to get him (20m old) into a toddler bed before this next baby arrived, well...he put HIMSELF in one. He suddenly refused to sleep in a crib. I put the matress on the floor and he got on it, put his head down, and went to sleep. A week later we bought a rail for the bed in the upstairs spare bedroom and now he's been sleeping in his "big boy bed" with absolutely no problems for two weeks or so. I think that letting them kind of do it themselves rather than trying to force them into one when they may not be ready (getting out and playing half the night is a sign they aren't ready TO ME...my son never gets out of bed!) just makes the whole thing a whole lot easier.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 9:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I don't see any reason for me, personally, to do it until they try to climb out. Mine were in the 2.5 age range. I have a 22 month old and I am not ready--that is not to say she wouldn't do well, but it is easier this way for now. She sleeps well and does not try to climb out and I know she is safe.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• When she tries to climb out or later if you have a crib tent to keep her from climbing out. My daughter is 23 months and we will probably switch her in another few months. I figure, what's the rush? Will she have a more successful life because she's in a bed instead of a crib at an early age? No.

When you do move her, babyproof her room. She may try to climb the dresser, she may decide that jumping off of her chair is fun, swinging from the clothes in the closet is a good game too. Of course, all of this will happen at 3am when you are asleep.
    Put a lock or baby gate on her door too. When she tires of playing in her room, she may decide to explore the kitchen.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 11, 2008