If NCLB was so bad why is Obama wanting to continue it?

His changes do not sound much like improvement, but rather increasing what is already disliked regarding the program.

The president wants to put more funds into the program to make sure high quality teachers are being paid for their work.

He wants to establish more assessments that test specific skills, including a student’s ability to use technology, conduct research, engage in scientific investigation, solve problems and present and defend ideas.

The president wants to create an accountability system that will help schools which are struggling, instead of punishing them.

The system will provide information to the government so it can evaluate students’ continual progress from kindergarten to 12th grade.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 4:01 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Payback?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Don't know why, but it looks like those skills tests are more extensive and have more to do with critical thinking. Hard for me to judge since mine is only in sixth grade and isn't being tested on science yet, so I don't know what those standards have been to this point.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• In theory, NCLB is great. When it comes to real life application, not so much. Too bad he and the others in charge don't understand the difference.
    Anonymous

• The problem with systemic change is it's expensive. They can't afford to scrap NCLB right now, because there's no way anyone will approve funding for the next half-baked experiment they want to try on our kids, whichever one they choose next. NCLB would work if they used it properly, and that includes actual accountability for the funding (maybe they need something like that tracking website they had for stimulus funds, only this time, one that actually works and instead of Biden is run by someone who knows wtf they're doing). The teaching to the test thing isn't what NCLB forces people to do, it's the loophole schools and teachers use to try and get around doing what NCLB is trying to get them to do - comprehensive education that meets basic benchmarks.

I'll give him points for even admitting it needs changes, but I doubt they'll help.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:23 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It gives the feds control over education which isn't in the Constitution. This is the only way they can require anything in education. They hold the strings to the purse. You want their money? You follow their rules.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The president wants to put more funds into the program

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it's to ensure teacher union support in 2012.  I would rather see some accountability for the funding they already get and see where the money is being spent (like what NP mentioned).  I don't understand how it is that we spend more money per student than we every have historically and yet we are still not competitive with other country's students.  The system is broken and the way to fix it isn't to just throw more money at it.  You have to find out what isn't working and fix those problems before determining where to go from there. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• LOL Because he has found (as is evidenced by how many of Bushes policies he has continued)Bush had it right on most things and he has no choice but to continue them because he doesn't want to take a chance screwing things up any more before the next election.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The changes he's suggesting are fairly significant. It might have the same name but it's looking at a totally different skill set than the basic skills NCLB currently tests. Will it fix the schools? I have no idea, either way, I'll keep my private school.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:42 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Just wasting more $, it works for them...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Adding MORE TESTS does not improve our educational system. NCBL had good intentions, but honestly is TERRIBLE in real life (as another said). I teach, and NCBL has made it so I am forced to teach more to a TEST than I can teach to the general curriculum. I feel very LIMITED in my ability to go beyond the text and make learning more fun, for I need to make sure my students can pass a bunch of tests every quarter. It's a SHAME. Unless our government actually steps into the shoes of the classroom teachers, and even admins, they will NEVER GET IT imo.
    Anonymous