Did your kids ever act like this at Kindergarten Registration?

My son claims things are boring when he just don't feel like doing them. Today I was surprised to hear that he could only count to 7 at registration. I knew there was no way. So I talked to her about everything and then asked my son to count backwards from 10. He did it real fast and she seemed surprised. Then she had him start at the beginning and keep going to 20 and he did it. My question is - Have you seen kids act like this and then get the hang of it later? I never had him in Daycare or Pre-school. He will be 6 in July. I mean, in the car he counted up to 37 after we left. I am afraid he won't want to do it for them or he will get bored and just give up. I have seen him tell people he didn't know the alphabet just so he didn't have to say it. My husband didn't do well at subjects he wasn't interested in or considered to be fun. I guess I just don't want him to be like that. I'm sure they will make it fun so he stays interested. I am afraid if he is too bored he won't show them what he can do. I don't know. I just needed to talk to someone about it.....He's my only

ThatBoysMom

Asked by ThatBoysMom at 4:14 PM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yup, my 4 year old does the same thing in preschool. At the beginning of the year, I KNEW she could count to at least 15, but the school said she could only get to 5, and she didn't know her alphabet at all (which she sings it with older siblings all the time). Its probably the whole "stranger" thing and not wanting to be a "performing monkey".
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My daughter does the exact same thing. She is just now finishing pre-k, but when we get progress reports it says she can only count to 18 and she doesn't know how to spell her name and she doesn't recognize the sounds for a majority of the letters. She spelled her name to me just last night, counts to over 100 at home, and recognizes the sound of every letter when I ask her. She's just not interested in learning things AT SCHOOL. She's 5.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think the fact he hasnt been in preschool plays a part and Im not dogging you for that. The first year kids are in school they are the most unsure of themselves is all. He will open up and be fine.

Answer by gemgem at 4:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Think about it though, he's in a new place and a stranger is making demands on him. I wouldn't be suprised at all that he was shy about demonstrating his knowledge. I say it's normal. Also don't worry too much about him being bored. You'll be suprised at how fast paced kindergarten is these days. I don't want to say my son was bored because he got to do a lot of things that he hadn't gotten to do before, but he definitely knew the material for the first half of the year. I actually feel more sorry for the kids that don't know their ABC's and counting going in because the teachers don't have time to concentrate on the basics, they have to move on quickly.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:21 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I just read your post to my husband. He looked down the hallway to our son's room, then looked at me and said: Are YOU writing that?

The ONLY difference between your son and mine is that mine has a younger sister.

My son taught himself to read at 4 years old. He'd finished most of the Magic Treehouse chapter books the summer before Kindergarten started. He knew his ABC's and could count as high as you asked him to. The ONLY thing we hadn't really done much with was his writing. Kindergarten, for him, was a JOKE. Part of that was his teacher situation, most of it (I believe) was because he was not challenged; at all.

Jan 2011 he took the Highly Capable/challenge/gifted/PC name of the month testing. He scored in the 95% for verbal and 99% for non-verbal. His school's shrink said today that that is exceptional for a 7 year old 1st grader.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• thats what his doctor said when i asked her about him being so active and jumping around and talking so much. lol she said he will have to get use to more of a structured setting since we have always had hours where one of us or my mother was with him.
    ThatBoysMom

Comment by ThatBoysMom (original poster) at 4:20 PM on May. 4, 2011