Maybe kind of silly, but it bugs me adult content

first off, let me say that my MIL is overall a wonderful woman. but something both she and DH did over the weekend is bugging me.

we were talking about some family history things and I was talking about something from my family history that happened in England when King Henry's son Edward was King.

My husband quickly cut me off and told me that Edward was never king. I told him that he was king for a time, but not terribly long since he died young.

He insisted he was correct, granted, this is typical for him.
then his mother jumped in and said that she didn't think that he was ever king either. I told her 'well, according to the information I've researched he was.'
'______ and I both don't think that he was, and that's two, so let's leave it at that.' then she got this know it all smirk on her face so did DH.

MIL may not know this, but Dh is well away that I've been researched that period of England's history for years. I recently spent months researching who succeeded who during that time, who was Henry the 8th children and so on.

It just seems that when it comes to a lot of things DH doesn't give me any credit for having a brain. I'm the one that did the research, why would he be so sure I was incorrect?

Seems like there's not a topic under the sun where DH doesn't feel that he's the ultimate authority on it. It's like he just assumes I'm clueless.
anyone else with a pompous a*s husband like that?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 4:23 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Print out something from the net where it says he was king & leave it for him to read.
    Anonymous

• it's not really a matter of the material, I knew that I was right, and I did show him the info from the V&A museum in london to back it up. It's just that he so often assumes that whatever I'm saying is incorrect and that he must be right when it's clearly something that I would know more about.
    I'd just like a little more credit.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It seems weird for them to both insist you're wrong. FWIW, I KNOW you're right :) I'm a teensy bit obsessed with the Tudor era.

You should let them know Bloody Mary comes from Queen Mary's reign, too - after Edward died. Really throw them for a historical loop.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• This sounds like my stbxh. He loved to say phrases like "everybody sees this..." Everybody thinks this..." and so on if we disagreed about something because he could not stand being wrong.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I'd just come back with a snide comment. Something along the lines of: "Right, I mean you two would know better than me, who has spent hours of my life researching this period of history, while the two of you are just guessing. That makes total sense." Add in eye rolling and walk away.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 4:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No. My husband respects my intelligence.. have you asked your husband why he does this?
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 5:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "have you asked your husband why he does this" yes, I've asked him and he said he wasn't aware of it.
    ItsMe89

Comment by ItsMe89 (original poster) at 5:14 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My DH does this too. But I like to then get on my phone or laptop and Google whatever it is he's disputing, find a reputable source for the information, and make him read the page or read it aloud to him. Sometimes he backs down. I've tried the snide remark thing mentioned by a PP, but it's not the best way to handle it either. I'm sorry that your MIL added to the frustration. It's possible she was doing the mom thing by standing by her kid even when he is or might be wrong; it's also possible that on some level she doesn't feel you're right for him and wants to be catty, but from what you said that's probably not the case.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 5:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yep, mine does the exact same thing. I got a phone plan to allow me to visit the internet and I WILL look up things if we disagree and show facts.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• That's just arrogant of him...but seems that this is a character trait, so were you unaware of it before you married him?? I couldn't be w/ someone like that, who undermines my authority and/or smarts, but that's just me...
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 7:12 PM on May. 4, 2011