Marijuana & kids

The drs dx my DS with severe ADHD & anxiety and if I let them, the meds list will keep growing. I'm very afraid of pills & I love my DS. So I am looking into medicinal marijuana for him that he can intake in cookie or tea form. People are appalled but now he's developing OCD. He now clips his nails every day and cuts paper obsessively and it's only when he's on the ADHD meds. When he's on the meds he becomes withdrawn from people and obsessive. And I've changed his meds to find the "right" one. Now they want to add a blood pressure patch NOT because he has high blood pressure but to relax him. Oh and maybe AMBIEN for sleep. I want to take him off everything but the teachers call me/notice when I send him to school & he hasn't taken meds. When he's not on anything he's so hyperactive no one can stand being around him and that pains me too! I'm so afraid for him so now I'm exploring this option. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on May. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• It might be something worth looking into........

Answer by older at 4:25 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My brother was taken off all meds and put in a different environment and he benefited from it. 10 years later and still no meds. If the teachers can't control him and you want him off the meds, why not consider homeschooling before adding another drug?
    I don't think marijuana is the right answer here.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:28 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Wow, thats a tough call mama...I would defintiley look further into it, discuss with doctors, maybe talk with any other parents that may have chosen this route with thier child and see what they say from their experiences. Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Pills are not meant for us to take... they are chemicals put in your body to make you do what society wants go with what you believe its YOUR child

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• They have done a lot of studies on teens who smoke marijuana that has shown a lot of long-term effects on brain development. I would be wary. Consult with a naturopath. There are a lot of other natural regimens you can try for ADHD that aren't associated with those kinds of developmental effects.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:32 PM on May. 4, 2011

• The same exact thing happened to my adoptive brother! Those medicines are awful, he was on adhd medication since before he was 5 and his teeth were losing enamel, who knows about his bones, and they cause liver damage among other things. The teachers didn't care about his health only his behavior. I think there is a natural diet that might help? but the medical marijuana may be a great alternative to the pharmaceuticals. There are many different strains that have different properties, some actually keep you focused :) but the cookies and things would take a while to kick in, and the effects would last for hours, vaporizers aren't harmful to the lungs, so that might be something to look into. Good luck, I wish you and yours the best.
    SomethingZen

Answer by SomethingZen at 4:37 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I also agree with bdflykisses, why not homeschool if the school is pushing the behavior drugs? You need to do what you think is best for your child.
    SomethingZen

Answer by SomethingZen at 4:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with PP. Maybe you should homeschool him until you find out which meds, are helping, and which arent. If it were my child, i would be looking into MJ too. All the pills, side effects, and practically a trial and error with my child, isnt ok. IMO, I would homeschool him until the fall(if you can find the right meds before then), get him off of all pills, and try all the natural remedies before going back to pills. The school shouldnt be trying to force you to medicate your child, but I understand that his behavior may disrupt class and others.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Is he on an all natural diet? Have you removed the chemicals from his diet? HFCS, all Artificials flavors & colors, excess sugars including fruit juice? Has he been tested for food sensitivities? Rast test for IgG antibodies?

For sleep, try melatonin. You can buy it at any pharmacy. It's a natural chemical that the brain produces to help us sleep. There are many herbal supplements to help focus.

drfeingold.org is a wonderful resource. Check out his books at your local library.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I tried home school. It was even harder to get him back to school after that because he would rather be with me. It takes him months to get used to being around other kids. He retains the information. It's behavioral. He's tested gifted. But he will get aggressive with anyone who upsets him and he distracts teachers and students. He wants homeschool but I can't homeschool him. I HAVE to work at the least part time which would mean daycare for a few hours a day and same problem there. There's no way around it. And he needs to get used to being around people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:42 PM on May. 4, 2011