This is a question I would hate to read myself, I know, I know...but...should I go to the hospital?

I'm between 36 and 37 weeks pregnant and for the last half hour I have felt like I was in a constant contraction. I can't figure out whether I need to poop or if I am in labor. The hospital is an hour away.

I don't want to drive an hour to poop, but I don't want to deliver at home, and I certainly don't want to do either on the side of the highway.

This is my 3rd child, but my other two were induced, so I have never faced this predicament before.

Any advice about what to look for or how to tell the difference or even just what you would do would be helpful.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:29 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Call your OB.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:30 PM on May. 4, 2011

• When I had my daughter and kept feeling like I had to poop...I was in labor....I always think better safe then sorry you know?
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 4:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would call the doctor while I was in my car on the way to the hospital..but I tend to overreact, LOL GOOD LUCK!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:32 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yep you already know....congrats on the birth....now get going to the hosptial.

baby gift

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I would say go. A lot of people say that's how they feel when they go into labor. In fact an aquatint of mine went and said she had to poop. The nurse said you're not getting out of bed to try yet AGAIN, just push here and see. Needless to say the baby started coming out.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 4:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree.... better safe than sorry. Call the ER, talk to a nurse, then call you OB let them know, then be off. YAY! I will hope for the baby. Hugs! Im so excited for you....let us know
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 4:39 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Considering how far along you are, I would say go.

You could always call the hospital and ask to speak w/ a nurse and see what she says. I wasn't going to go when I had bathroom issues at 36 weeks while preggo w/ my first son, but had called the hospital and the nurse there said that is exactly how her daughter's labor came so we went in and had a baby a few hours later :)

Good luck to you!
    mamawhit

Answer by mamawhit at 4:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• get in your car and go to the hospital
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 4:42 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If the pains are worse and very close, then maybe you should call your OB and then an ambulance.

Answer by Bmat at 4:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• GOOOO!!!!

i told the nurse with my DS "i have to poop" she said it was the baby pushing i was only 7cm. I kept yelling at her "i'm going to crap myself"!!!
    So she told me to hold on while she's gets the charge nurse, they checked and i didn't wait for her to say anything until i started pushing... crapped myself, and he was born! 8 lbs 6oz..!

Long and short, go. it's an hour and lots of things can happen within that hour!
    steph_twins

Answer by steph_twins at 4:57 PM on May. 4, 2011