Does you two year old know his colors?

Mine is having a hard time! He knows over 30 animals, and tons of objects... he just doesn't get the colors yet... normal?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Shoot i can barely get my 2 yr old to talk let alone know those things. He knows a cat and dog and thats about it. I think he is ok. I have 8 nieces and nephews an they didnt know that much til they were like 3 1/2.
    Anonymous

• My 2 1/2 yo doesn't know his colors yet. He will repeat the name of them, but doesn't know what they are. I think it's normal.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 7:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Totally normal. They're not expected to know colors until age 3.

That said, I have two year old twins. One knows all his colors (including pink, grey, brown, white, and black) while his twin is just starting and I think knows blue and green, possibly red.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My daughter knows her colors after I bought this ice-cream set...it comes with cones and all different colors for the flavors that they can put on top...inside, the colors are written...I would lay them all out and say to her "give me the blue one" "give me the red one.." I'm a teacher so I got a bit obsessed, but I feel like it totally helped!
    jennblayne

Answer by jennblayne at 7:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• OOO jennblayne were did you get that?
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 8:04 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It's normal.
    The "academic" things that we think are important aren't that important to kids. Some learn them early (around 2) and others don't learn them until Kindergarten. The charts I've seen say that a child should be able to correctly name ONE color by 2.5 years.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It's normal
    however my son (now 6) is color blind, 1 in 10 boys are. So don't worry we didn't relize he was until he was 4 and in pre school ( we had a eye exam done). So you may consider it.
    Anonymous

• mine does. just turned two last month.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yes, she knows all her colors including black, grey, white and pink.
    jekr43

Answer by jekr43 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My 2 year old son has known 11 colors, his alphabet, over 30 body parts, numbers 1-10, 7 shapes for quite a few months now...but he takes speech therapy because he would rather point and yell to get something than speak. But he is finally starting to say alot more now.
    mommabean06

Answer by mommabean06 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008