It might be ADHD but what else could she have?

My dd is 7 and we have always known she was different I guess you would say. She has trouble paying attention, she talks fast and nearly non stop all day usually repeating herself multiple times. She doesnt seem to get in trouble at school, but is constantly looking for ways not to be there. She is what we have begun to call our huggie child and will hug most anyone that comes by to visit, my friends just accept her as she is but I'm wondering if there isnt something more we arent catching. She is a level behind other kids her age on her reading ( i just found this out yesterday when I asked why she wasn't reading books at her level). Also her math skills dont seem to be improving rather they are riding at the same level. I know she tries hard to succeed in school and tries hard to behave both at school and home. But I have also begun to notice that the little things ( like a puppy the size of a football) will send her into an uncontrolable fit. And just this morning she was getting her breakfast, a bowl of cereal, and I was watching and out of nowhere she curls up on the floor saying "mommy whats wrong with me?" "why doesnt anyone understand me?" I wasnt sure how to respond but told her it was just cuz she was special, to which she responded "well mommy I don't wanna be special anymore!" I had never before put a label like that on her behavior but I'm concerned. The fit this morning is what brings me in search of answers. I did the web md test for adhd and it says she most likely has that, so will get her tested asap but any other ideas on what is going on with my baby girl?

momof3xthefun

Asked by momof3xthefun at 4:55 PM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Asperger's

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Sensory Processing Disorder. May not be on the autism spectrum. My child has tge exact same symptoms as ADHD and he is VERY affectionate. Most people on the autism spectrum has sensory processing disorder but not all people living with SPD have autism. So...an OT eval will help determine what it is or is not. Your daughter sounds very similar to my son with SPD.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Call her doctor and get a referral for a counselor to have her evaluated and don't wait. It could be anything and SHE is expressing her need to be helped.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:38 AM on May. 5, 2011