Do you think reality TV trashes black women?

Put two or more headstrong African-American women in the same room, and let the fireworks begin. From Oxygen’s Bad Girls to Bravo’s Real Housewives franchise, the small screen is awash with black females who roll their eyes, bob their heads, snap their fingers, talk trash, and otherwise reinforce the ugly stereotype of the “angry black woman.” Take VH1’s Basketball Wives and Love & Hip Hop, which feature the scorned ex-wives and baby mamas of rich NBA stars and rappers. No episode is complete without a bitchy confrontation or a threat to do bodily harm.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/05/01/reality-tv-trashes-black-women.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:27 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Entertainment

• No, they do it to themselves, just like some of the skanky white chicks on Rock of Love and that Flava Flav show. They're just sad.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think reality TV trashes ALL women.
    Anonymous

• No. Everyone is responsible for their own behavior, regardless of race.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• How people act on t.v. is up to them. Black, white, pink or purple. If they want to get on t.v. and makes fools out of themselves, that's up to them. White, mexicans, what about those jersey shore people?.... they all act trashy as well. Just saying that t.v. trashes blacks or just black women isn't correct at all. They do it to themselves, no matter what race.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:46 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, they do it to themselves. It hasn't nothing to do with the fact that they are black, no one made them act like dumb-asses and fill every stereotype in the book. Plus, in my opinion, you're an idiot already for being in a reality tv show.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 6:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I honestly don't think so. There are a ton of "normal" ladies on many different shows of all skin tones. Some of them do pick the stereotypical thing a bit far but remember every skin tone has their shows like that. My big fat redneck wedding.. not all light skin people are crazy and want camo print or smoke in their wedding dress. It's for entertainment and what gets ratings, any idiot would know that is not how a real woman of any kind acts all the time or that one skin tone acts that way as a whole. it's where you live and how you grew up and decides how you act and who you are. people get that. I don't watch much TV so I can't give more examples I just roll my eyes and move on to the next one
    Anonymous

• Reality tv makes almost anyone look like an ass no matter what sex or what color they are.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• i couldn't have said it better, nanixh.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:30 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If someone acts a fool on TV... they deserve to look however they look
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• People who choose to be on reality shows make fools of themselves.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:54 PM on May. 4, 2011