My 2yr old son walked across the street alone to his grandma's house

I asked hubby to watch the kids while I caught up on my homework, he said okay. I threw a load in the washing machine and sat down at the kitchen table and got to working on my paper. A little while later my mom comes knocking on the door and let her self in. I can here talking to my husband asking him "Are you missing something?' he tells her "What are you talking about?' she says "BJ, I just so happened to look out the front door and he was standing there." My stupid ass husband said "Oh, that is why he was begging me to help him with his shoes." I am just standing there in rage. My mom knew I was mad so she just told me that I can get him later. I just walked away from him and followed my mom out the house to get ds. While back home I explain to him that it was not safe to walk across the street by his self or even go outside by his self(have been explaining this for the past month). I don't know what to do where my husband is concerned its like me talking to him is not getting through him. Just yesterday I was cooking and just happened to look out the window and BJ was standing by the road trying to close the lid on the garbage can. I had to run outside and snatch him up while husband was standing there talking to the next-door neighbor. I told my husband he had to be more careful with him since there is an increase in traffic on our road lately. But it is not getting to him. I am scared that the next time we want be so lucky. Someone can snatch him up or hit run-over him. Just writing this is making me see red. Through all of this he hasn't left his recliner(playing PS3). I have a mind throw the damn thing out the house. Any advice on how to get through him?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 5:40 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• I have safety chains on my doors. My eldest is autistic so we put them on so he couldn't get out. They have been quite effective, especially with my very active and independent 3 year old! My dh is the same way, so I try to always be aware, even when I'm sick. Some men have a single track mind! I can't believe this didn't scare him enough to do better!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:54 PM on May. 5, 2011

• attach the PS3 to your child..that way, when he attempts to walk out of the house again, your dh will notice and either keep him from going out, or go with him.
    here's a tip: child is only a toddler..put a lock high up on the door and keep the door locked...child can't reach it, child can't walk outside by himself.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• First and formost, you need a different locking system on your doors to the outside!!! Hubbies laziness will matter for nothing if something happens to your child.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:46 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I have one child (she's 17 now) and I do not know how many times I have said I feel like I have 2 children... meaning her and my husband. Try this... when something like that happens again, talk to your son IN FRONT OF YOUR HUSBAND... and say things like "daddy and I worry about you being close to the road" "you need to ask me or daddy before you go..." Let your husband HEAR YOU and make him a part of it even though he isn't really saying anything. Or say "... , right daddy?" and see how he responds. Just try to keep your cool and when you go over the rules (again and again) with your son, make sure Daddy hears them as well!!!! It may be that hubby just doesn't get it (imagine that:) and needs to hear and then be accountable to YOUR rules as well. Try VERY hard not to yell... that will just give hubby fuel and start another battle! Good luck and understand this does not end when your child gets older!
    Deedle28

Answer by Deedle28 at 5:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I think that if you know that your husband isnt a responsible care provider than you shouldnt leave your son with him. Treat yourself like a single mom because thats what you are if you cant count on him. I honestly think if my spouse was being so careless with our child I would leave him. Its easier to get over the loss of a spouse than it is a dead baby. What your husband did is neglect. I pray it doesnt happen again because next time you may not be so lucky! You need to let him know that what is did was life and death serious.
    micahssupermom

Answer by micahssupermom at 6:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• maybe you can hide the video game for a while, if he wants to be a kid treat him like one.........sorry, but this post gave me the shivers!!!!!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:18 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I don't know what to say, except for that I would be LIVID and I would give him hell for allowing that to happen. That is SO irresponsible of your husband.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:45 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Lock the doors up high ? If your child wonders around that much & you two can't keep an eye on him, use a playpen or gates to keep the kid in a certain area that you guys are in even if you can't keep in eye on him. At least you know where he's at and that he's safe. Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 5:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree that your husband is useless for watching the child but since you know this, be proactive, install a better locking system to prevent this in the future.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:50 PM on May. 4, 2011

• We put locks that the children couldn't reach or turn.

Answer by Bmat at 5:50 PM on May. 4, 2011