Why is my son getting nosebleeds at night?

Like every other night he's getting nosebleeds. I find blood on the pillow and bloody crust in his nose in the morning. He's not upset by it, and it doesn't seem to hurt him.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 6:01 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe its too dry. can you put a humidifier in his room and vaseline in his nose before bed?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Do you live wher it's dry or do you run the heater a lot at night? If so you may need a humidifier in his room.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• We just moved and we are in MN. It's actually sort of humid.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Maybe hes picking his nose?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If you just moved it could be some sort of allergy issue from something he's not used to. It could even be caused by having a different type of heating system. You might try some saline drops before bed, and if that doesn't help you might call your pediatrician.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:08 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I've thought about the nose picking too. It's possible. I'm gonna try saline tonight. Thanks Ladies. :)
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 6:10 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It is pressure/barometric changes. You said you just moved to MN, so that is pretty much N of anything, unless you moved from Canada. You can swab some Vaseline in his nose at night, but not every single night, to keep his membranes moister. If it is an ongoing thing, take him to a Dr to see if he has any veins close to the surface that my need to be cauterized.

My son, who is 6, has been experiencing nose bleeds when the pressure changes for the past two years. He had 3 just yesterday. He has been to the Dr, and we are just watching and taking note, and hoping he grows out of it. The good thing about nosebleeds is that they are relieving pressure in his body. And he is more than likely only bleeding from one nostril, so once you know which one, then you know which one to treat.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 6:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree about putting a humidifier in his room, sounds like the air is try. My DH used to have nosebleeds all the time, even as an adult. Hasn't in years though.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:30 AM on May. 5, 2011