Preschool and Surgery

My preschool-aged child is going in for surgery in a few weeks. I am worried about the time before surgery. I know she is going to get anxious . . especially at the hospital with strangers. When do they put her under? How long can I be with her? Do they give her something to calm her, so they can put in an IV?

Do any of you have some experience with kids and surgery? Can I do anything to try to make it easier for my baby? How did you do the hand-off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Dd had surgery, we were allowed to wait with her until they took her to the OB. she got her IV with me holding her
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:05 PM on May. 4, 2011

• when i had sugery when i was about 5 or 6, they had a little meeting for all the kids having surgery and told us what was going to happen and made it fun. the also let us ride in a wagon if we wanted to on the way to the OR. They usually use a mask like a the dentist and put the iv when the kid is under. i also got a little stuffed animal to hold on to and keep. Ask the doc most of these questions, but put her hair back to make it easier in the OR cause she'll be wearing a hair net. Nothing metal or matallic is allowed to be on her.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• 3 of my kids have had to have surgery. All 3 were given Valium or something like that in a very small dose. It helped calm them for the IV and also for when they took them away. They all did really well and they were allowed to take a stuffed animal and my youngest even took his blanket.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 8:40 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My son had several surgeries when he was little and they did a super job with making him at east and feel better about what was going on. They let me stay with him until they took him back and I don't really know if they did give him anything through his IV to help him calm but I think that things like this are harder on us than they are the children. Just do your best to keep your anxiety in check until they take our little one back. If you are strong, they will be strong. Good luck to you, I know how hard this can be!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:44 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes the surgeries were at a children's hospital. We were told that we could request the pre-IV sedative, but the nurses asked us as soon as we got there if it was something we wanted.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 1:28 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My daughter was given a sedative before being taken back.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 11:56 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My son had surgery at age 4. I knew he would never sit still for an IV to be inserted, so I talked it over with the anesthesialogist and he worked with it. He gave my son a shot that completely knocked him out before they started any of the things I knew he would be scared of. He woke up and it was all done. It really was pretty easy.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 7:51 PM on May. 6, 2011

• my 3 year old has had 4 hip surgeries...
    they won't be as nervous as you are at all... bring some new fun toys and have fun, don't let her see you nervous...
    they gave my lady some "juice" to relax... which makes her loopy... you say good byes and they carry them off, then put them 100% under and start IVs and what not then...
    its hard, but remember to stay strong for her, while she can see you... you can break down once she is in surgery and she'll never know...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:49 PM on May. 7, 2011

• good luck mama!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• alot of times they will let u stay with her till they put her under, talk to her dr and ask their rules =)
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 1:20 AM on May. 20, 2011