I think it's funny how the dosage of castor oil ranges from 2 TEASPOONS to 8 TABLESPOONS in one sitting. What have you been told?

All the more reason to talk to your doctor before doing something like this. I can't believe the differences of dosage! Listening to personal experiences is all fine and dandy, but please do some REAL research and talk to a professional.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Does castor oil really help to go into labor?
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 6:26 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It sure makes you poop a lot. My friend tried it. She never went into labor but wow did she have the runs!
    Anonymous

• Castor oil is extremly dangerous. All it does is give you a gut ache and make you poop. It can cause the baby to pass meconium in the womb which is extremly life threatening if not treated ASAP. It really doesn't work.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:29 PM on May. 4, 2011

• From what my doctor has told me, castor oil has a good success rate of putting overdue mother's into labor. She said that the risk of meconium in the womb is from the fact that the mother is overdue, not from the castor oil. Castor oil has 0 nutritional value and therefore is not absorbed through the placenta. The real dangers are dehydration and also stress to the fetus due to strong contractions. This stress you could compare to being induced with pitocin. I'd rather drink castor oil after 40 weeks than be induced though. If it doesn't work, well it'll clean you out!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Did your doctor tell you to take castor oil? I've had a lot of babies and different doctors every time. They all said no way. Passing meconium due to castor oil, isn't just limited to overdue moms. Pills have no nutritional value either, pass through the placenta. That makes no sense. If an overdue woman went into labor after taking castor oil, there is no way to prove it was the castor was the culprit. If you are overdue odds are you are going into labor because it's time to go into labor.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• It is soooooooooooo icky but it works
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No my doctor did not tell me to take it. I asked her about it and told her that I had been researching it. I just thought the information is so varied online that it's hard to know for sure.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I took castor oil when I wasn't pregnant for regularity issues. Only took it once. Won't take it again- pregnant or not. *shudder* the memories.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 6:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

• http://www.kristinasoil.com/fyi.html

See 3A .... Never take castor oil while pregnant......
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I sure would NOT take that. I would walk alot and have sex....LOL.
    Due dates are not that acuurate. My 3rd baby was 10 days overdue and nobody considered inducing . Labor will start when it s the right time.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:38 PM on May. 4, 2011