Does anyone live separately from their spouse, and remain married?

I'm most likely moving out of town to finish school while my husband works as a real estate agent back home. I think some time apart would be beneficial to see where we stand (we've been indifferent towards each other lately). Has anyone been in a similar situation?

SomethingZen

Asked by SomethingZen at 6:34 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• If there's friction in the marriage already and you plan on living apart it will most likely blow up. Me and my ex were starting to fight about the bills and whatnot and when I went to school we tried talking on the phone but we just grew apart. He got used to me not being around and I got used to him not being around.
    Try going on a break while you're in school. If you are meant to be you'll get back together, if not then you'll at least know.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:42 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I was away on and off for 4 months helping out with a parent with dementia. It was very stressfull and would not reccomend it at all esp. if your mil lives next door.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 7:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• yeah, a military spouse does it every other year or so.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 6:43 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Yes, we have lived apart. My husband was relocated the summer before my son's senior year of HS, and I opted to stay behind. It was fine-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My husband and I lived apart for two years while I finished a fellowship and he finished his dissertation. It was VERY stressful on our relationship. We made it, but only because we were very committed to each other through the entire thing.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:02 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Thank you guys for the responses, some good input :) I really appreciate it.
    SomethingZen

Comment by SomethingZen (original poster) at 12:10 AM on May. 5, 2011

• Nope...we live together
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 12:46 AM on May. 5, 2011