Any tips on how to lose inches quick?

I weight 130 but I have excess belly fat. I know that I need to tone up but before I try to build muscle I need to get rid of the fat. I am on a pretty healthy diet ie. fruits, veggies, water, etc. I do not have the money to go to a gym so I am wanting ideas to do in my own home. Any tips??

Amanda_Jo1209

Asked by Amanda_Jo1209 at 6:45 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• There are tons of ways to exercise at home! The exercise videos listed are a great start. You can get some great ideas from those. You need a mix of strength and cardio. If you're able to walk or run, swim, bike, hike, etc, those are great. You can join sparkpeople.com, which is free, and there are lots of exercise demos on there, which show you how to do strength exercises you can do at home, and it has a ton of ideas for cardio, plus articles abou motivation and safety and lots of other stuff. Yes, ab exercises are ONE component, but as was said before, you can't spot-lose fat, and you need to lose the fat around your midsection (and everywhere else) if you want to have a flat belly.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:38 PM on May. 4, 2011

• p.s....just b/c you're building your abdominal muscles does not mean you will lose inches..in fact, you could gain inches, b/c you're building muscle under fat.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:59 PM on May. 4, 2011

• toning muscles does not get rid of belly fat....you cannot SPOT loose fat. Cardio is how you burn fat, but you can't guarantee that's where your body will choose to take it from. Yes you can tone muscle in that area but even toned muscle can be surrounded by fat. So yes a program at home like 30 day shred, Insanity, P90X, TurboJam, etc will burn off the fat and tone muscle. I'm a beachbody coach so if you are interested in all of those but the 30 day shred, let me know!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No kidding?!?!?!? Does it matter how much weight? Like do I twist from side to side or like lean from side to side?
    Amanda_Jo1209

Comment by Amanda_Jo1209 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• you need a workout program...lifting weights will build MUCH more muscle, which in turn burns fast a lot faster than dieting will....you can do workout regimens without joining a gym...we do P90X. It's works, lemme tell ya.
    calliesmommie

• @ calliesmommie I know about the fat over the muscle thing. I actually went to LA Fitness for a free consultation thing and learned that. I just don't have the money for an actual membership. He said that strength training is best bc it burns calories longer. I just didn't know if there was a way to do it at home.
    Amanda_Jo1209

Comment by Amanda_Jo1209 (original poster) at 8:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• To get rid of belly fat you need to tone your stomach muscles. Sit on your bottom, bend your knees, lift your feet off the ground so the only thing touching the ground is your bottom, then hold something in both hands and touch the ground with it by turning at the waist. Just do that back and forth and you will feel a burning feeling
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 6:48 PM on May. 4, 2011