Tell him?

My ex and I were never married, but we had a child together. Am I required to tell him that I'm getting married in 2 months? I have full physical custody of our kid, he has visitation and we share legal custody.

I think it's none of his business since he didn't marry me...but want to know what the law says .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on May. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Who cares what he thinks
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 6:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No you dont have to tell him but I would. I dont see why not he is going to find out one way or another.

Answer by gemgem at 6:49 PM on May. 4, 2011

• "If you like it than you shoulda put a ring on it!"

Sorry just had to do that. You are not required by law to disclose anything. If you want to tell him than that's up to you. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it though, just mention it and that's all.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:53 PM on May. 4, 2011

• i think you should tell him as his kid is about to have a step dad i dont think he got a say in it but i would at least let him know as he dose see the kid
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:54 PM on May. 4, 2011

• None of his business, but I would tell him because you do NOT want your son being the one to share the information. That puts a child into a very awkward situation that he shouldn't have to deal with.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:58 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My son isn't talking yet. So I wouldn't have to worry about that. I think I'll tell him afterwards though.
    My ex cheated on me while I was pregnant, and left me for the other woman the day I gave birth to our child.
    Thanks everyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, you are not legally required to disclose any personal information to him. It is honestly NONE of his business.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:12 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Legally, I don't think so. It would be nice, however, if he knew that there was another adult in the home around his child. As a parent, I would want that courtesy extended to me.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• You are not required to tell him.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:36 PM on May. 4, 2011

• the only thing he may need to be aware of is your change of name for paperwork incase he goes to court or needs to know your full name in case of emergencies, etc.

no, legally i dont think you have to tell him but you really may want to think about it
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:40 AM on May. 5, 2011