Am I being too hard on her?

My 5 yo has been a little brat all day. I've had it. She's usually really good. She decided to start kicking her little brother while he was lying on the floor. She was sent to her room. When she was allowed back out, she randomly pushes him and he fell back into the coffee table and hit his head pretty hard. I sent her to her room for the night and fed her dinner there as well. Is this too harsh? Please, there are no underlying issues, or aggression issues with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on May. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, I think you were fine.

Something you might want to do today is to talk to her about making good choices and bad choices. Then when/if she starts acting up again later you can remind her by saying "are you making good choices right now?". That's what we had to do with our daughter and it makes her stop and re-think what she might be ready to do. She loves to aggravate her little brother and he is nothing but sweet to her.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:53 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I don't think that's too harsh. If she can't come out of her room without hurting someone, maybe she needs to spend some time in there.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I woulda did the same thing ! I actually had to send my son to his room he was grounded all day today Hes 5
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, It sounds fair. If she is unable to act like a civil member of the family then she can spend the evening alone... Hopefully tomorrow she will make better choices. Good play mom!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 PM on May. 4, 2011

• YOUR FINE.
    Anonymous

• No, it's not to harsh. She needs to learn she can not do that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:16 PM on May. 4, 2011

• No, I don't think your being to harsh as she needs to realize that hitting and pushing doesn't get you what you want. However, that being said I think you should love on her and talk with her about what she has done, maybe her reason for having such a bad day may have something to do with something that is bothering her that you are unaware of, we all have our bad days including children, LOL.
    momwith4

Answer by momwith4 at 7:16 PM on May. 4, 2011

• she's hurting her brother, and did it again after you punished her once?
    I don't believe in spanking or anything like that, but I'm wondering if you were harsh enough. She may have really hurt him.

so no, you weren't too harsh.
    Anonymous

• i think it depends on her room i don't time out my kids in there room to Meany nice toys in there lol i use the hall as there nothing in there its very boring and i make my kids say sorry to who ever they hurt it may seam daft but my 2 and a half year old has to say sorry a good few times to the 7 month old and my 8 and 10 year old have had to say sorry to the 2 year old a lot lol

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 7:24 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Not at all mom, you did good.

Answer by older at 7:30 PM on May. 4, 2011